Tuesday, July 16, 2024

Typing Out Loud/Why Art Matters: A New Skating Season

I believe my soul is on fire... 

The powers that be, this time those that control music rights and publishing, have rendered ALL of my skating programs illegal. How? BMI/ASCAP came down hard on US Figure Skating, USA Gymnastics, DCI marching band, as well as bars, restaurants, gyms, and other public spaces if they haven't properly paid for the licensing rights to play music. If your music isn't on their approved list, you have to pay an extra royalty fee to play it. So I looked up my program music...

No more character showcase for I'm Only Sleeping. 

No more artistic to Melissa. 

I'm glad I practiced The Girl That I Knew Somewhere because it's not on the list, and thus a retired free skate before I could compete it. And Daydream Believer isn't an option either. 

So what now? A fresh start.

The list:

Burning Sky: it's cool, like really cool. I've already got a bug up my ass defending its deserved place on Bad Company's 10 from 6 greatest hits album which is really only 10 from 5. Did they think we wouldn't notice? I think there's enough to work with here, plus thunderstorms, to pull together a really cool free skate program. And look at that color palette up above - blue AND orange! It's on the approved list. ASCAP score 100%.

Shame on the Moon: It's got a sweet shuffle and takes me back to my shy early high school days. Solo dance. It's on the list. ASCAP score 100%.

This could be visually stunning.

Calypso: This has been in my back pocket for a while, but someone I used to skate with disliked John Denver, so I set it aside. The idea was to skate as a figurehead at the front of a ship. ASCAP score 100%.

Sky, sea, and the heavens. I like it.

I really cannot believe how easy this was.

No comments:

The Beatles, Ranked! 11-15

The singer of Boys looking quite boyish 11 Boys Uniquely Starr time, his song with "the other lads," a performance piece done wit...