Monday, September 30, 2024

Across the Prairie: Mansfield, Revisited - Almanzo's Garage, Stone House, and Downtown

 

I was expecting more in Manly's garage.

I hoped to discover and celebrate more about Almanzo, knowing that they created a new exhibit on the site where his garage used to be. The man used to make canes, shoes, oxen yokes, sewing kits, lap desks, lamps, and tables from nothing. He was an expert craftsman in his own right. 

The problem is they are just getting around to curating it, and all they have are hay rakes, work benches, and photographs. The wagon is down the hill in the museum, where I'm sure it has to be in a controlled environment. It will be interesting to see what more they do with this, it was pretty bare. 

The retirement Rock House. 

So I made my way to the Rock House, about a half-mile walk through the mosquito-y woods. It was a pleasant day, but I was told the docet takes her hour lunch at 12:30 and it was just after noon. I didn't want to wait, so I hopped in the car for the longer drive around. I didn't remember it taking that long to get there last time. 

What's so significant about the Rock House? It's where the series started. 


Laura wrote the first four books there. 

Won't you enter the charming English cottage?

So, it's a bed.

More Frank Lloyd Wright inspiration in the closet. 

Modern plumbing. I was interested in the build-ins throughout the house.

Charming sconces in the hall. 

The front parlor, with amazing views of the Ozarks. 

Unspoiled views. 

I knew there used to be a dirt parking lot RIGHT THERE. The docet, a girl in her 20s was unsure.

Once I was done at the farm, I rode into town. There I spotted her bank where all the sweet, sweet LH cash was deposited. 

Town square, where her bust appears. I walked around the base, which is made up of eight triangular slabs to commemorate each of the original books in the series. 

I made it over to the cemetery to pay my respects. My memory failed me; I thought the stones faced north, but these are definitely facing west. I thought there were more trees, but that was 20 years ago.

Hi guys.

People left behind coins as a show of respect. I left something too, a little cowboy hat.

Clever - of course you leave a writer a pen. 

I thought I saw all there was to see, including a trip to the local grocery store for those ginger snaps. I looked for the library that had her name on it but couldn't find it. Too bad, I missed out on seeing more artifacts that had been bequeathed to the library by her, before Roger and his family took over. I've seen the Trundlebed Tales YouTuber video, so while I didn't see it in person, I still got to tour. 

So on the Mansfield trip, I toured the farmhouse, the rock house, the garage, the town, and the cemetery. The magic is in her farmhouse, which she reclaimed in the 30s and where she chose to settle for the remainder of her days. You can feel her spirit and the warmth. The cottage is beautiful and the views spectacular, but I don't know... was it the lack of staging? It just doesn't feature the warmth of the farmhouse, with the bright yellow walls and old lady furnishings. 

Onto Independence, Kansas!

No comments:

Across the Prairie: Independence and Will the Real Mr. Edwards Please Stand Up?

It's me by the wagon, on an adventure.  I'm here!   A replica cabin built on the approximate site of the actual cabin based on found...