Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Typing Out Loud: Y'all Need a Time Out

Sorority sisters protecting each other, many years later

Boys - may I call them boys? - are y'all doing ok? 

Because you are NOT representing yourselves well these days. 

As I've said repeatedly this year, Jesus fucking Christ. 

First, let us discuss the golf club situation. Good Good and Calloway released a commercial where the punch line was a man angrily shoving a female golfer to the ground because she almost touched his golf club. The good ol' boys countered with the usual "can't ya take a joke?", effectively gaslighting anyone who had a problem with it as the unfun, humorless, blue-haired liberals.

Calloway blamed Good Good, and Good Good blamed the fact that we didn't see the whole commercial, because "he got his in the end." I saw it; all it shows is that the antagonist is a bad golfer. Are we to accept this as his comeuppance for being a shitty human? Yeah, your joke failed to land on many different levels. 

So then it was explained away as the newest in viral advertising- rage engagement. Now I know about Good Good golf... but did I want to? 

THEN, there was the Ohio State/Texas game, where Texas pulled off a stunning upset over the Buckeyes. Holly Rowe, an award-winning sideline reporter for ESPN, attempted to engage the head coach in a quick interview. Chaos ensued; the coach shouted something about "Texas fight, hook 'em!" and was pulled away. Holly ended the interview as the crowd swirled around her. 

Should have been the end of it. 

Oh no.

Some jackass takes the footage and generates an AI alternate take on the interview where the head coach backhands Holly to send her sprawling. 

The knuckleheads guffaw, the pick-me girls laugh nervously while sipping their pumpkin spice lattes, and Texas QB Arch Manning brings it up in a press conference and asks the male reporters in the audience if they saw it and "wasn't it hilarious?!" 

Oh, but he's a BOY, you know... a 22-year-old boy who failed his media training. He apologizes two days later, to which all the boys are now insisting he shouldn't have to. In her grace, Holly accepts the apology, but she shouldn't have to. 

So what now? 

Oh, boys will be boys... apparently 57 of them, to be exact. Members of the Chi Phi fraternity at Cornell are now under fire for an incident that happened in 2024. One member of the fraternity brought his female friend to a party, then slipped something into her drink. He proceeded to take her to an upstairs bedroom and advertised his friend as "free pussy!" in a group chat. Seven men took advantage of her, while 49 other boys in the chat cheered it on.  The lone exception was one who was not at the party, woke up to the thread, and took a screenshot of the communication and shared it with the girl to be used as evidence against the fraternity.

Result? Some boys were suspended; others were asked to write a paper on the incident. She, however, had to leave school in shame. 

Oh, fuck you - fuck all of you. 

This shit isn't new; I'm not surprised, I'm just disappointed we have yet to evolve. The reason for my sorority picture up top? Want to know what my nicknames were in college? I was "mom" to the sororities and "cock block' by the fraternities. Fun, huh?

I was older than most of the girls in my pledge class, and then was elected pledge director. That meant I was responsible for the education and initiation of each class of pledges coming into Phi Gamma Nu. I took that role seriously, and since attendance at parties was mandatory, as we were a professional sorority acting as a social one, I had to look after a lot of girls with high GPAs and low tolerance. Plus, I had a car. 

So, in addition to watching what they were drinking, I was chauffeuring around a lot of girls to make sure they got where they needed to be safely. Did I want to be their chaperone as well? No - I would have preferred to nurse my beer while looking at the DJ's record collection. But there were a lot of guys grabbing girls by the elbow to lead them upstairs. Girl code meant saying no thanks, getting them Taco Bell, and getting them home to sleep it off. 

Do I feel like a hero? Or am I, to use one of my most hated derogatory phrases, virtue signaling? No, it was exhausting, and no one wants to be the unfun one. But someone had to be, back in the 90s and even now. 

Do better, boys. Hard to call you men right now. 

No comments:

Typing Out Loud: Y'all Need a Time Out

Sorority sisters protecting each other, many years later Boys - may I call them boys? - are y'all doing ok?  Because you are NOT represe...