Monday, October 5, 2026

LHOTR 2.0: Windows and Doors and Walls

We went up north to meet with the builder over the weekend, and it's happening; it really looks like a cottage now! This post is mostly photos: 

From the bridge.

DtB found a better-quality siding for around the same price (maybe just a little more; his goal is to stay in budget too) and hung a section to see if we liked it. We loved it. 

It's really taking shape now! 

Our fancy door. It's the main entrance, but it feels odd calling it the front door since it's east-facing. Already, this is rendering the rescued blue sheer curtains obsolete; I don't think I will need them here.

Center swing doors riverside and our rescued picture window. I will need privacy drapes for the swing doors, but I did save the curtains for the picture window. 

This is the great room from the entrance, east side of the house. The kitchen table will be about where the boards are on the floor. 

West side. 

I wanted to get a feel for how the kitchen would be laid out, so I took scrap boards and used them to rough in where it would all go. 

Fridge, cupboards planned to the right. We vote no cupboard above the fridge; they are usually useless and hard to get to. This leaves room for the snack basket.

Sink under the window. Should we get the matching light fixture or a recessed light above? 

Stove to the right of the sink. Small cupboards on either side and above. 

This is the utility room. The circuit breaker, water heater, and washer/dryer will be going in here. It is TINY, so a stackable unit is a must. DtB is also looking to create a narrow pantry as well as install coat hooks and shelving for snowmobile suits. 

Bathroom, also cozy. What we gave up for a utility room is replaced by tight quarters here. However, this is a better use of the space compared to the galley bathroom we had before. The shower/tub combo will fit perfectly along the back wall, then the toilet next to that, and a vanity in the right corner. We talked and decided there's no reason for a door on the linen closet since it's tight and the doors will bump each other. 

DtB is fixing us up with a vanity that didn't work in a previous build. It's very pretty. Reuse, recycle! 

This will be Will's room. He will have to figure out where the headboard will go for his bed. Fit for a queen and not much else. 

View from the closet. I want to move things in and decorate. 

A square-shaped closet that can store random items or just clothes. 

Master from the doorway.

From the closet.

It's a tiny closet, but it will still be useful. 

From the NW corner of the room. 

So now I need to shop for a bed frame with some clever space-saving capabilities that is durable and stable.

See, the chest of drawers is UNDER the bed. I like this. I hope I start getting some Amazon gift cards for judging and earn my bed frame. 

I spent some time running around getting paint colors. Mike, the drywall guy, is talking us out of Regatta since it's so dark. Will has agreed to pick another color. I was also talked out of a tile backsplash for the kitchen; DtB says it's just not needed. 

No comments:

LHOTR 2.0: Windows and Doors and Walls

We went up north to meet with the builder over the weekend, and it's happening; it really looks like a cottage now! This post is mostly ...