![]() |
| She is The Warrior |
She is Dancing Barefoot
I hate the compare/contrast method of storytelling because I don't want to give the impression that I prefer one artist over the other. But I am so drawn to the similarity of their name to wonder out loud if there are parallels in their story.
Patti Smith was born in Chicago, 1946. Patty Smyth was born in New York, 1957.
Patti started her career in the 60s as a teenage poet and performance artist. Patty started as a teenage singer, performing at folk and comedy clubs in the 70s.
Patti shunned any sort of girly persona and was comfortable adopting an androgynous look as a model for the famous photographer Robert Mapplethorpe. Patty wore prom dresses as costumes for early music videos shown on the fledgling new network MTV.
Patti tore your heart out in Because the Night. Patty tore it out in Sometimes Love Ain't Enough.
Patti married Fred from the punk band MC5. Patty married temperamental tennis star John McEnroe. Both of these men said motherfucker, a lot.
Patti was an indie rock favorite who left her recording career in 1980 to focus on marriage and family, until Fred died in 1994. Patty was asked to lead the band Van Halen after David Lee Roth left; pregnant at the time, she turned down the gig to focus on her marriage and family.
Essential to any playlist: Patti - Dancing Barefoot; Patty - The Warrior.


No comments:
Post a Comment