Thursday, August 1, 2024

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Jackson Coney Dogs

It's a taste of home.

Jackson is the home of the best, original coney dog. There, I said it.

But what is the best?

Today, you have Jackson, Virginia, and Andy's. Back in the day, you also had Todoroff's, Jackson Coney Island at Paka Plaza, the place over by the old Gramer's Candies, Christoff's, and I'm sure I'm missing one or two. 

Forget the goupy mess of a Detroit coney. And the Flint ground beef is too simple, too easy. 

The heart of Jackson coney dog is, well, the beef heart. 

Recipe for delicious.

I grew up on Andy's dog, but I do prefer the Jackson Coney Island for the way they finely chop the onions for maximum flavor. There are no losers here, to be honest. Naysayers prefer the snap of a natural casing weiner, but having had one too many give me food poisoning, I'll go for a meatier, snapless bite. Any coney from Jackson, the dog grilled on a flat grill, mustard stripe, steamed bun, and plenty of onions is a winner. 

No comments:

The Beatles, Ranked! 11-15

The singer of Boys looking quite boyish 11 Boys Uniquely Starr time, his song with "the other lads," a performance piece done wit...