Saturday, October 23, 2010

FASHION! Turn to the left, FASHION! Turn to the right!

Clothes. Fashion. Style. Such startlingly visual evidence of one's personal style -- or lack thereof.

I wish I could say I've always had an eye for style, but I couldn't be more wrong. So often in the past, I have to admit to buying trendy, cheap, what was available, or what I would others thought was cute/sexy/flattering instead of what was obvious from looking in the mirror.

There are some things that just don't work on me. Cutesy sweatshirts with things marching across my already ample chest are just no. I hate the look and feel of turtlenecks. Crew necks are my least favorite type of t-shirt. And I haven't even started in on the pants...

There's a reason for the existence of the advice column in glamour about dressing for your body shape and the advice is consistent, correct.

I don't know how or when it happened, I think it was a vintage shop in San Francisco, at the legendary Haight/Ashbury intersection. I was thinking how cool it would be to find some hippie gear there, of all places. Instead, I found a SF Giants jersey (too big), a Hungarian peasant blouse (too burgundy), and a purple Hawaiian print shirt (had a pharmeceutical firm stitched on the pocket). All eventual fashion mistakes, yet I discovered a love for vintage/thrift and it opened my eyes to the possibilities of creating personal style for a fraction of the cost of shopping retail.

I have a few rules now, developed over the years:

1. TRY IT ON. This could very well be the ONLY rule. In order for something to look well, wear well, and be a thrift bargain, you have to try it on and see if it works. Case in point, over the summer I stumbled into World Mission and Thrift, 99 cent day. Loaded the cart. One of the items I thought was a sure thing was a cute halter dress with a strawberry pattern. I was already visualizing picnic at the beach, cute mom and baby, etc. The reality was a top small in the breasts that turned a short waisted dress into an awkward a-line. The surprise was the army green sheath dress that was sleek, comfy and changed its "attitude" depending on the accessory. I love it.

2. INSPECT. An item may look cute on the hanger, but I always check armholes for rips, skirts for stains, zippers if they work, missing buttons. If the piece is a gem and you are handy, one missing button won't stop you, but a grease stain is a grease stain and will almost always be a grease stain.

3. TEMPER IMPULSE SHOPPING. It may only be 99 cents, but even then too much can turn into too much, and it's not a bargain if it's just sitting in your closet. I try to do a quick inspection of my closet before going to see if there is a need (currently want dress pants for work) and shop for that.

4. AVOID RUTS. I once went on a kick where all I bought were sweaters in white/cream, then switched it up to include pink. Unless white button-down shirts is your signature look, try mixing it up. Again, this stuff is usually under $5, take a chance!

1 comment:

L said...

Good call on the rules! However, I have some stuff that my mom uses (totally old product but you can still get it at Meijer). No grease stain is too much for it. Next time you come over I'll show it to you. :D

That's It, Just One Line - Landslide

"Can I sail through the changing ocean tides, can I handle the seasons of my life?"