Thursday, March 10, 2011

April March - Cooler than Me



The other night I fell asleep on the couch after having picked up the house post-birthday soiree. We had been watching the P!nk concert on Logo, a very trendy, GLBT cable channel. I woke up to the movie But I'm a Cheerleader! and the song "Chick Habit" was playing over the opening credits. It had a very 60s girl group vibe, by way of rockabilly. I loved it so much, I Shazamed the song to discover the song was not from the 60s, but from 1995, sung by artist April March.

I googled her and found the results of her bio to be quite fascinating.

First, she studied at Disney's Character Animation program. She worked on some of the coolest projects in the 80s and 90s, including Ren and Stimpy, Archie's Comics and PeeWee's Playhouse. Ren and Stimpy was cool enough, but she animated Madonna in the title sequence and music video of Who's That Girl. Love, love, LOVE that work!



Then comes her music. According to the bio, she's heavily influenced by 60s French pop, and her music has been used by Quentin Tarantino, and the duo of Trey Parker and Matt Stone. She's collaborated with the Dust Brothers. And Chick Habit is just such a cool song.

She even married cool: she hooked up with another indie musician who was the former VP of music history at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

I bet even her kitchen trash can is cool, some retro enamel in teal blue with chrome.

No comments:

The Beatles, Ranked! The Bottom, or the Not so Fab

I'm fighting this too. I said I'd do it, so here it is. First, some "defend the music" just outside the bottom: Her Majest...