Thursday, May 5, 2011

May Playlist - Rush!




Rush and the Runaways, 1976 - so many levels of awesome.

My affection for the band is based, quite honestly, in a love affair. Fate threw Dave at me several times before the two of us woke up to the realization that we would one day make a beautiful baby together.

The date was 1991, when he and I moved in next door to each other in college. He and his roommate came over under the guise of using our phone to hook their phone up, and he just never left. Drinking beer and reviewing my music collection, I believe it was noted that there was no Rush in my playlist. When quizzed, I vaguely recalled the MTV Saturday night concerts, Tom Sawyer, and spooky green lasers.

While my enthusiasm for the band is a pales in comparison to Dave's obsessive fanaticism, that doesn't mean I can conjure up a tasty playlist in honor of a long-time crush on guitarist Alex Lifeson.

In no particular order:

BU2B - "new" release from 2010's, Time Machine tour. Heavy, melodic, thought-provoking.

Caravan - one of the few songs released last year (along with Stone Temple Pilots' "Read Between the Lines") that proves rock ain't dead.

Driven - a charging, crazy futuristic tune from Test for Echo.

Freewill - radio-friendly to the point of overplayed, but with a distinct message about thinking for yourself.

New World Man - "a rebel and a runner, he's a signal turning green."

One Little Victory - My favorite Rush tune, with fantastic licks and great lyrics. One of the best live tunes ever. It is the base of my playlist for next week's River Bank Run. "Celebrate the moment as it turns into one more, another chance at victory, another chance to score."

Spirit of the Radio - a song about the joy of music.

Tom Sawyer - so fuzzy and buzzy at the beginning, then it just blisters.

YYZ - skated to it at my first-ever Adult Nationals as a way to have Dave with me as I competed on the ice. I remember someone yelling "yeah!" when the music started.

2112 - to complete the circle, I am planning on skating my gold freeskate test to this song. The premise behind the song is a little too sci-fi for me, but the music rocks.

No comments:

The Beatles, Ranked! The Bottom, or the Not so Fab

I'm fighting this too. I said I'd do it, so here it is. First, some "defend the music" just outside the bottom: Her Majest...