Wednesday, July 6, 2011

July Playlist - Sweet Melissa and the Walter Mitty Band



One of my favorite board games when I was a kid was Fantasy Island. Premise of the game was to pick a dream life, move around the board collecting love, money and adventure cards, then Mr. Rourke grants you your fantasy back at the house.

The most popular game card was "rock star" - and who wouldn't want the life? Adoring fans, millions of dollars, travel the world - SINGING! Rocking out!

So in homage to my favorite board game, and a literary nod to another dreamer, I dub my dream band Sweet Melissa and the Walter Mitty Band. It's a sweet gig, make sure to tip your waitress.

Melissa, Allman Brothers Band - self explanitory

Gloria, various artists - the song has turned into quite the improv rock song that has expanded in breadth from a quick 3 minute into 20+ minutes of groupie tales. A fine example is Tom Patty live in San Diego.

Ain't Even Done with the Night, John Mellencamp - husky and seductive. "You say that I'm the boy who can make it all come true, well I'm tellin' ya that I don't know if I know what to do."

Tusk and Hold Me, Fleetwood Mac - a little Stevie, a little Christine, and a little Lindsey.

Never Let You Down, The Verve Pipe - throaty vocals on the verge of shouty from the underrated Underneath album.

How Can I Refuse, Heart - millions of girls singing into hairbrushes either do or should want to be Ann Wilson.

Anything Lone Justice - Maria McKee. Nuff said.

No comments:

The Beatles, Ranked! The Bottom, or the Not so Fab

I'm fighting this too. I said I'd do it, so here it is. First, some "defend the music" just outside the bottom: Her Majest...