Thursday, September 15, 2011

Birthday, Birthfest - Creating An Aura of Princess



Really, any one will do...

I'm a complete diva/princess/queen when it comes to the subject of my birthday. I'm grateful to people for tolerating the "aura of princess" that I project starting around September 7 that typically continues through the weekend after; this year festivities will wind down on Sunday, dinner with the inlaws.

Not to say all birthdays are awesome. Believe me, I've had some dog year birthdays. My 15th was a disaster due to unrequited crushes, diva girlfriends that forgot and the lack of hype. My 23rd I felt oddly old and forced gaiety that resulted in an unfortunate streaking episode in the forest. And my 32nd was post 9/11, and I don't think anyone had any fun that week at all.

I cannot explain why I love my birthday. Maybe for someone who shied away from attention, it was the one day/week that I could be comfortable being showered with attention and affection. The weather is usually picture perfect, not too hot, pretty sunny and relaxing. There's the expectation that something special could happen - Dinner? Party? Flowers? Candy? Balloons?

But it always comes back to presents. This year I got the aerial class from Dave and Will; but that is the tip of the gift-giving iceberg. And the free stuff from companies has blown me away:

A grande blend from Biggby Coffee;
Nail polish from Ulta;
A custom-blend perfume from Aveda;
Bottle of perfume from Yves Rocher;
Bubble bath from Sephora;
Lunch from Noodles.

That's not even mentioning all the free desserts, knick knacks, drinks and specials from other peeps.

Most of all, I think it's people going out of their way to say or do something special to help me celebrate that gives me an extra glow.

No comments:

Rethinking Black

How can I love a rare steak with crispy bits? Rely on a good chef. Black is... Taste: the flavorful, crispy bits on a well-prepared rare st...