Sunday, February 12, 2012

#100! Why Art Matters - WYCE


I did it, I made it to 100 posts! My intention back in 2008 was to write for fun, but when I lost my job in marketing and my freelance writing business dried up in the economy, this site became a creative life saver. As a result, my personal expressive output has never been richer, with my involvement in ArtPrize and gallery shows here and there, as well as the jewelry, the logos and skating.

The future? I'm looking forward to more posts, and since I have been able to prove that I have the discipline to keep up with the writing and stay on topic, perhaps fulfill the Great American Dream of writing a book?

To those who have been reading in secret, thank you. To my handful of followers, thank you. To the people, places, artists, and things that have served as my inspirational muses, thank you.

The first post was about music, so I think number 100 should follow suit.

My enthusiasm for WYCE is clear and unabashed. It is a community-based independent radio station, their studios nestled above the library on Bridge St., down the road from Maggie's Kitchen (who should be the subject of WAM for March - cooking is an art!). Why do I love thee?

New Artists - Lily Allen. Adele. Foster the People. Bettye Lavette. I heard these artists and more for the first time on WYCE, long before they became staples of mainstream radio.

Local Artists - Grand Rapids is hardly Austin, Seattle or Memphis, but the region is well represented on the airwaves, who not only play the tunes, but sponsor concerts and host an awards ceremony dubbed "The Jammies" awarding the best in local music.

Listener Supported! - Like PBS, they are at their best during pledge drives. With a couple nickels to rub together, I made a modest pledge of $8.81. They thought it was awesome, and made a big deal about the pledge on the radio "we are thankful for our listeners and accept and played Bettye for me as a thank you.

Shazam! - The station's blend of well, everything, has my ears constantly pricked. I dare say 90% of the songs I Shazam are from WYCE playlists. It's an opportunity to discover new tracks and thanks to the direct link to iTunes, support the artist directly.

Check 'em out: http://www.grcmc.org/radio/

No comments:

That's It, Just One Line - Landslide

"Can I sail through the changing ocean tides, can I handle the seasons of my life?"