Sunday, May 13, 2012

Resolutions 2012: an update

Oh hell yeah I did it.

It's May, five months later, and Happy Mother's Day. Since I accomplished something quite major yesterday, I thought it would be a good idea to look at what I put in "print" back in December and see how I'm doing:

Pass Gold MIF: not yet, but the goal has been set to test by August. The power circles and 3 turns, which account for 4 of the 6 moves, are passing according to Michelle. I'm having trouble with the brackets and the back figure 8. The fix for the 8 is supposed to be easy, and according to Michelle, so too the brackets. We shall see, but I was anxious about alternating threes on the silver and I passed those. Accomplishing!

Compete at ANs: Did it and did it well. Accomplished!

1,000 pieces of art: I have 808 done. We have entered ArtPrize and secured a venue, City Art Gallery in the Monroe/Belknap district. They are excited to have us and we are thrilled to be there. Accomplishing!

Back on the goodeats: I was diagnosed with diabetes in January, a relief of a wake up call. No hedging with the diet, no cheats, time to make changes for good. The perfect storm that resulted was the diagnosis along with Biggest Loser at work and the March Madness challenge at the Y. I'm down 14 pounds, I was one of 16 to complete MM, and came in second in BL, with a cash prize that was used to buy new clothes that fit me better than my old clothes. Most importantly, I made those changes to my diet. Accomplished!

Train like a 5K: I had originally not planned on doing the RBR because it conflicted with a skating competition, but then I wrote the Tell Your Story essay and won my free entry into the race, so I decided to do it anyway. Training became part of the MM and new lifestyle. I did it yesterday, earned my t-shirt and pin, was a member of the road team for work, and posted a time more than 3 minutes better than last year. Accomplished!

Honey do: it seems the more we do, the more messes we make and the more we want to get done. The flip side of that is the flooring we bought for the laundry room is still sitting in boxes in the garage waiting to be installed and boat season is around the corner. Oh well, we aren't going to die unfulfilled if it doesn't happen until fall, are we? At least we managed to fish the tub toy out of the crevices of the toilet after Will flooded the upstairs. Accomplishing!

Joy: One of the lessons learned the last 5 months is that life is short and precious. There have been so many moments of fear, regret, sorrow, pain and loss where my dad is concerned. The loss of hope was painful at first but replaced by calm acceptance and peace. I've discovered how miracles are delivered. What bravery is. How a funeral can also be the final chapter of a fascinating book about a beloved character. Thank you to my mom for insisting on bright, cheerful colors that day. Yes, joy. Even through tears, I can definitely say accomplishing.

No comments:

#700: The Beatles, Ranked! The NAs

Er, not quite Post #700 if I'm counting correctly!  As posted previously, I dialed down my ambition to rank all the Beatles songs, decid...