Sunday, June 10, 2012

Why Art Matters: A-muse-ing how I Get Creative

Journal entry, freshman composition, 1987.

It's strange how things work out. I dabbled in art here and there since graduating from Ferris, using my Viz Com degree as a supplement to my career as opposed to the main focus. Yet I have a piece on display at Festival of the Arts, will have an installation/collaboration for ArtPrize, and was just accepted as an artist for Arbor Arts Festival at Spring Arbor University this fall. That's on top of designing the 2012 Mids logo and having two pieces in a juried show earlier this year.

And while I'm not currently employed in my field, I did spend many years as a writer in various marketing/advertising departments, and managed a small stable of clients as a freelance writer. And then there's pouring out the whims and fancies of my heart in this here lil' blog.

According to the 18th entry in my freshman English class written in 1987, I'm livin' the dream.

But how did I get here?

One explanation would be need. When I applied for the Arbor Arts Festival, I was asked to provide an artists' statment about why I create. This is what I said:

I create due to a need inside myself to capture and express thoughts, ideas, emotions or moments, the result being an artistic, permanent record. The creative process for me is highly personal and emotionally charged; hanging a painting or producing a piece of jewelry is akin to baring my soul. After all these years, I'm still bashful to reveal that part of me, but can't NOT do so.


Another explanation as to how I got here is practice, practice, practice. Like Kristi "always dream!" Yamaguchi, doing one triple lutzs when she should have been in third period chemistry, I was in third period chemistry creating type faces (one I called "peanut butter and jelly", another was "ice fog"), doing little illustrations well beyond the typical doodling, and telling epic stories of teenage love to my lab partner within the margins of my battered textbook/sketchbook. I also practiced by creating original little works for friends - earrings, necklaces, paintings - as gifts when money was tight, not realizing the value of something unique and handmade would trump anything store-bought.

Then there is support. Could Dave be my muse? Of course. If you were looking for my #1 cheerleader, he would be it. Sometimes he overwhelmes me with the amazing level of support he offers even when I think I'm creating garbage or worse yet, not creating at all. The art side of things really got started when I contemplated taking a continuing education class at Kendall in 2007. He encouraged me to take the class, and refused to let me withdraw from the class, even when he lost his job. Depressed and withdrawn after losing my job in marketing, he encouraged my volunteering for ArtPrize in 2009 and my eventual participation the following year. Whenever an opportunity arises when a friend or client may need freelance services, he is right there with my card saying "well my wife..."

Finally there is self-esteem - a lack of it and me fighting my demons. I think I covered this a little in the "Personal Roadblocks" post from last year when I submitted my paintings for the Healer's Art show. Part of the reason I create is to prove to myself and others that I can do it, that I am good enough. I also do it to shut my negative Nancy superego up. The face of bravery against myself? Yes, if that makes sense.

No comments:

The Beatles, Ranked! The Bottom, or the Not so Fab

I'm fighting this too. I said I'd do it, so here it is. First, some "defend the music" just outside the bottom: Her Majest...