Wednesday, March 6, 2013

What's Right in the World: Pancerz Family Portrait

All my greats as little kids.

I recently celebrated the life of my great aunt Ciocia Lottie (third from left, leaning against her father), the sister of my grandmother Bobbie (seated on porch above and behind her father, the brunette). It was at the luncheon after the funeral that my father's cousin Ron showed us the photograph above.

Stories of my grandmother's childhood and marriage were not discussed much. My great-grandfather, mustached, died far too young in the 30s, leaving my great-grandmother a widow with 10 children to raise, this picture taken before the arrival of Ciocia Stella and Ciocia Ona. My grandmother herself was a young widow, my grandfather passing at age 42 when my dad was 17. I think stories were just too hard to tell.

But throughout the years, the stories, however limited, have trickled in and photos like this a glimpse into the past and a hint at my heritage. Of course I entered their life late in the game, and while I see a glimpse of the adult in the faces of these kids, I only know a facet of their lives.

Ciocia Anna, the oldest in the print dress, I remember fresh churned butter and huge homemade pickles in stoneware crocks.

Ciocia Chi Chi, (first from left) who is still with us, I remember the best sloppy joes for lunch before she took us to the club to swim. Also her gentle nature and elegance. She got me hooked on Smokehouse Almonds, the preferred snack for family gatherings, typically graduation or communion parties.

Ciocia Lottie, I remember helping her pick vegetables before swimming at her pool. Also, I was one of her "crew" when she volunteered to work bingo at our church. She always loaded us up with candy and popcorn to go, along with an extra dollar or two.

Uncles Poncho, Splitty and Gene are a blur of men with face-splitting smiles, comb-overs and cigars who would gleefully send us kids up to the bar of any family party to get them a beer and inevitably slip us some money. They used to buy me all kinds of junk food when I would accompany  my dad for Tuesday night bowling. Wow, the 70s, where an 8 year old could saddle up to bar and order a beer for her uncle and be served without a blink of an eye.

Uncle Joe, the baby in the picture is someone I was particularly close to. Polka Joe was his nickname, in honor of his long-standing radio program "Polka Time with Joe and Lil." For a while there, he added "and Mo," since I was his "intern" for a number of years. I helped DJ the show from '87 to '89, allowing them to take a few vacations. He let me rewrite his radio commercials, which he never used. He taught me valuable lessons in the art of advertising. The first was truth in advertising, as he would never take a sponsor he felt was detrimental to the message of his show. Also, how important honest and real relationships are built with clients. His 30-second commercials typically turned into 3 minute yarns about having a tasty burger at Hankard Hills Golf Course after playing a round with my Uncle Splitty. You knew when he told those stories, they really happened, he patronized his patrons.

Ciocia Ona, real name Leona, alternate nickname Bubbles, is a firecracker of a woman who had 5 kids, a pool, a Mary in a bathtub shrine, a pond and a mini airstream trailer that we kids spent the night in. She also had an electric stove top - space age! - where she made pancakes while I sat at the counter creating puzzle games. As the youngest, she has had the burden of catering the luncheons for her siblings.

Ciocia Stella, the quietest of the sisters, is nonetheless one of the sweetest people on the planet. She and Ciocia Ona are a one-two punch of youthful tomboyishness who can cook a traditional Polish feast with a pound of hamburger and a few potatoes.

After taking a snap of the photo with my smart phone (ah, technology!), I found myself peering closely at the picture under the self-centered guise of seeing a glimpse of myself in the faces of the people who came before me. From my great-grandmother and grandmother, I see my nose and the shape of my mouth, but precious little else. But instead of mere physical features, I like to think I inherited things like tenacity, character, integrity as well as a sense of style since all my aunties love dressing up.

I love you all.

And as pure as art can be, this portrait has inspired my ambition to recreate it. I think I see a future project.

No comments:

That's It, Just One Line - Landslide

"Can I sail through the changing ocean tides, can I handle the seasons of my life?"