Tuesday, April 1, 2014

April Fool's Playlist: Beatles Songs I Hate

You don't love us anymore then?!


I'm like Rolling Stone magazine, I have to feature The Fabs at least once a year.

I'm turning the April Fool's joke on myself this time. What songs by my beloved band do I hate? This April playlist is in reality an anti-list.

Revolution #9: tape loops. Drugs. Yoko. Lazy.

You Know My Name, Look up the Number: Paul as a fake bossa nova lounge singer. It's on Past Masters, it came out around the White Album, but I don't care enough to know more. I find it annoying.

Yesterday: Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?! Hear me out. When I think of my Classic Rock ban playlist from January, 2013 I think I chose the wrong song. Overwrought, over played. When people find out I'm a Beatles fan, they assume this is one of my favorite songs. They are wrong.

Fool on the Hill: I don't know what annoys me about it, maybe it's a series of things, like the pan flute, the stupid video of Paul looking stoned dancing on a hill during the Magical Mystery Tour, the knowledge no other Beatle wanted anything to do with it, or the fact once it's up in your head, the only way to excise it is another ear worm.

Her Majesty: the greatest band in the world completes their legacy with the words "and in the end, the love you make is equal to the love you make." Astonishingly profound, right? Wait for it.... this little snippet ruins it. The only flaw in an otherwise flawless album.

It's Only Love (Help! version): sometimes Sir George Martin got a little too heavy handed in the studio, and he slicked up this song by Lennon to boy band standards. By doing so, the gloss obscured the charm. I usually skipped this song completely when listening to Help. I was pleased to hear this song on the Anthology II disc, when it was just Lennon's vocals and a guitar, the rawness and simplicity enhancing the vocals. I fell in love with it immediately.

Misery: off the debut album. *sigh* They can't all be classics.

Piggies: Harrison's bitching about the British tax system again. An interesting song, but given its discordant nature, I think it's an *important* work, but not one we were expected to jam out to. I tolerate it in order to listen to the White Album in order.

A Taste of Honey: it sounds dated, feels like they are playing through honey. Heavy, forced.

Yes It Is: kind of a masochistic piece of crap, manipulating the sensibilities of a new girlfriend against the memory of another. Yeah, you're not over her yet, are you? I'll wear red if I want to, pal.

No comments:

The Beatles, Ranked! The Bottom, or the Not so Fab

I'm fighting this too. I said I'd do it, so here it is. First, some "defend the music" just outside the bottom: Her Majest...