Sunday, October 12, 2014

Typing Out Loud: AP15 ideas

Art! Angst!


So I didn't submit for AP this year. When I think back to wonder why, I can look no further than my typing out loud post from June.

So... better planning for this next year?

I have a few ideas I'd like to play with, so I guess this is a typing out loud stream of consciousness sketch book.

42|12: a visual obituary for my dad. My idea was a piece of glass 80" x 10", depicting his lifeline measuring 69 inches in strong, stark colors.

Pancerz, 1928: a cut paper reproduction of my grandmother's family portrait. Why cut paper? To turn it into a family tree of sorts. By adding a lily plant and a rose bush, it's a way to include Stella and Leona, who were born after the picture was taken. By adding cut paper elements like leaves to the tree that frames the photo, every descendant that springs from those children can be in the picture too.

Temporary: paper mache. As a graphic designer, I'm painfully aware that most of the work I have completed in my career has been well crafted but has a short shelf life and ultimately discarded. I was planning on making a fine art-like sculpture of paper mache that may be destroyed at the end of AP.

No comments:

That's It, Just One Line - Landslide

"Can I sail through the changing ocean tides, can I handle the seasons of my life?"