Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers.

I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary!

We were not fancy, fine-dining people growing up. It was a combination of my parents' work schedules - mom was in retail, dad entertained clients on the road and would rather have a bologna sandwich in peace when he got home. 

Also, there were few options for fine dining in Jackson, and those places were reserved for only the most special of occasions. 

My special occasion was in 1987 at Gilbert's Steakhouse, prom with my date Jim and friends. Feeling adventurous, he and I decided to split an order of escargot. 

It was unlike anything I had ever had before. 

The butter sauce was rich and finely seasoned with shallots and garlic. The snails were tender with just a touch of grit so you knew they were authentic, the flavor earthy and seafoody at the same time. (What are snails categorized as, exactly? A stop at the Asian market and snails were in the seafood section.) We sopped the butter up with bits of freshly baked bread that came with the order. 

The table was grossed out, but we didn't care. I don't really remember what our entrees were, steak or chicken probably. It was the escargot that stood out.

No comments:

Secret Life of Objects: Brattle Book Shop Magnet

  Flying in to Boston late for 2018 adult nationals, Dee and I stayed at the Godfrey Hotel downtown before heading to our AirBnB the next da...