Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Creating An Artists Statement



A unique opportunity was presented to me at my place of employment, which is celebrating its 100th anniversary. The art gallery on campus is hosting a juried show featuring art created by the employees.

The difference for me in the creative process, was writing an artists' statement. What also presented a new challenge was the fact the art had to be inspired by the mission statement of the organization.

So my muse was my job, which led to a creative block. Many times we are so busy, that I'm guilty of punching in and doing, not thinking. Then with HIPAA laws, one can't get too personal without getting all pronoun-ish, and hoping you are being generic enough.

So the artists' statement forced me to do my homework. This was more than slapping paint on canvas, I had to think about what I wanted to say, then how I was going to say it.

The first painting I deliberated and created was "Looking Within/Reaching Out," the blue block painting depicted above. It was inspired by the people I see who are struggling with depression. The darker the blue, the more desperate the situation becomes. But there are two reasons for hope: the first is the blue, as dark as it gets, it never lapses into black. The other is the white slash across the canvas, symbolizing Jesus as a presence even in the darkest of times.

Allowed to submit another painting, I wanted to create something with a little more joy. I thought back to my time as a care provider with the Dementia Living Center and created the piece "There Are Memories." The idea was that while these patients were suffering with memory loss, they were still holding onto pieces of themselves, memories that sustained them, gave them comfort while their body betrayed them. For some, it was a faint memory of a childhood pet; for others, the memory was longer, a place in time to be and remember something happy. The colors are bright, a little chaotic, but very organic.

I'm eager to allow the paintings time to dry, apply a coat of varnish and frame in time for the show.

1 comment:

Becky said...

I'm in love with these paintings, and I think the artist statements are so meaningful. Kudos!

That's It, Just One Line - Landslide

"Can I sail through the changing ocean tides, can I handle the seasons of my life?"