Sunday, January 20, 2013

What's Right with the World: Imma skater too!

"Hey folks, here's the story 'bout Minnie the Moocher!"


Since it's National Skating Month, Nationals is coming up, and I'm preparing for the Deborah Burgoyne North American Adult Invitational (I have competed against a Canadian and a Mexican skater before!), I thought it would be fun to kick the memory banks into high gear and list all the music I've skated to and see what I can tell my faithful readers *crickets* about what I remember.

Fantasie Impromptu, Chopin - my first ever competitive program! This was in 2001, Grand Rapids Open. I was so scared, I didn't eat for 3 days beforehand. I wore a black velvet dress with a white mock turtleneck collar, similar to Gordeeva and Grinkov's 1994 LP. Oh, and I came in 8th out of 9.

Margaret Yang's Theme, from the movie soundtrack Rushmore, Mark Mothersbaugh - very quirky and fun, I competed it a million times for ISI 2, and came in second at the ISI Adult Championships. Blue glitter cocktail dress re purposed for competition.

She Blinded Me with Science, Thomas Dolby - my first artistic/comedy routine! Hot pink Einstein tee with Christmas lights in my hair. I won my first GRO medal, forcing organizers to add an adult category. Many years later, a teen aged competitor revealed herself to be one of the tiny hot pink girls I competed against. She remembered the lights in my hair and how funny I was.

Rhapsody in Blue, Gershwin - my bronze test program taken on competition runs. I wore my favorite dress ever for this program, inspired by Josee Choiunard. *sigh* It was a good program, and the first time a program was changed after the initial blueprint because my skating improved. Rawk.

Morning Suite, Grieg - Josee dress re purposed with amazing results. One of the only programs I skated undefeated, the highlight being winning the gold medal at the ISI Adult Champs in Breckenridge, Colorado. I remember the satisfaction of skating very, very well and the shock of finding myself in first place at a national competition.

Time in a Bottle, Jim Croce - This is one of a few of my programs that weren't critically acclaimed I happened to love. I always finished last, or near last. Costuming was a black leotard with a watercolors wrap skirt. Huh.

Gabriel's Message, Sting - my first ice show solo! Pink Hostess Snowball sweater.

YYZ, Rush - My introduction to US Figure Skating Adult Nationals was a hard rock holla. Well, maybe more of a small yay. Music choice was to have my husband on the ice with me. I am STILL the reigning state champion at the Missouri State Games... because they haven't offered this event since I won it.

Minnie the Moocher, Cab Calloway - red satin with black fringe and black fishnets. The program still puts a smile on my face. I skated this really, really well every time I competed it.

Sandra's Theme, soundtrack to Big Fish, Danny Elfman - the music is very sweet, but I made a few competitive mistakes with this program. First, the music was too soft, too tinkly for my style of skating at the time. Second, in order to save on money and up cycle, I wore a dress that didn't fit well. I don't ever recall feeling terrific after skating it, more like "well, that's finally done..."

Riders on the Storm, The Doors - Mary Sue's husband Steve offered this up for me to skate to, and Mary Sue thought I should channel my inner Toller Cranston. What this proved is I don't have an inner Toller Cranston. It was a cool program, and I won Winter Classic even though I forgot a big portion of my program and made it up on the spot.

Jambalaya, Jo-El Sonnier - Fun music, fun program, fun dress. I competed at Winter Classic, where the skaters from all over the world come to compete. I skated out to my starting position to a single pity clap. Then the music started, and this Cajun classic had the stands rocking. They cheered every element, and by time I was done, I had a standing ovation from the Mexican team, thus the term "I'm big in Mexico."

Angel Flying Too Close to the Ground, Willie Nelson - Another program I would say was for me, because the judges certainly didn't think it was for them. White eyelet swim dress re purposed for competition, I thought I skated it very well time and again. Sweet, sad music.

Proud Mary, Ike and Tina Turner - There is a distinct line in my skating "career" and it begins with this program. I can't explain it, maybe a new-found confidence in my ability to perform? I nailed it at GRO, winning my first gold medal at that event, beating many higher level skaters. I also beat national champions at sectionals.

Cielito Lindo, traditional - oh, how I loved this music, this program, and my second dress! I "borrowed" the song from one of my favorite kids as she was growing out of her program. Happy, upbeat. The dress was designed from an art deco turn-of-the-century liquor ad of a senorita sitting on a globe with a bunch of grapes. Ole!

All of My Love, Led Zeppelin - this program will always be special to me, not because of the music, the dress or my results. I competed this program twice, while pregnant with Will, so it was my not-so-secret pairs program. Knowing this was a song written for Robert Plant's son strengthens that bond. Skating and winning, while pregnant, that is SO an adult skater move!

Barber of Seville - New approach to freestyle, I wanted to treat it like comedy. I skated my heart out for this program, and had excellent results.The judges at AN just didn't know what to do with me, and I got ordinals from 5th to 15th.

Little Girls, from the soundtrack to Annie, Carol Burnette - I won an auction to have a private lesson with national senior medalist/world competitor Dan Hollander. An EXPERT on comedy routines. Well, he went above and beyond the parameters of the auction, cut music for me and worked with me for two hours while we choreographed this gem. Why? Because he thought I was hilarious. It is my AN medal moment, pure comedy, a reward for years of hard work, and validation that I finally belonged.

I've Been Loving You Too Long, Otis Redding - Laura Maki was a figure skating judge with a passion for synchro and the high school series. At one of the last competitions she refereed, she lamented how the young girls these days were skating to Gaga and Beyonce, and why can't someone skate to some Motown or sixties soul? This one was for you, Laura.

Flamethrower, J. Geils Band -  I felt this music was very me, and wrote Michelle an email, listing the top 10 reasons I should skate to it. Michelle choreographed an amazing program, it was fun to do and in the only time I performed it for the judges, I passed the test.

One More for the Road, Bette Midler - when one gay guy after another tells you to skate to Bette, you'd best listen. The music felt smoky, intimate, flirty, and wise. I loved most every performance.

Lunchlady Land, Adam Sandler - Dan once again came through with the music, but circumstances prevented us from being able to work together on it. I competed this one at ANs for myself, since I had the revelation the day before that the only one disappointed in my skate was ME. Best lesson ever.

Song of India, Rimsky-Korsakov - a work in progress, my first competitive Silver program. No dress yet, I may reuse the teal from Seville.

Smile, Nat King Cole - in honor of my dad and a reflection of the last year in dealing with his passing. A little clown, a little pathos.

No comments:

#700: The Beatles, Ranked! The NAs

Er, not quite Post #700 if I'm counting correctly!  As posted previously, I dialed down my ambition to rank all the Beatles songs, decid...