Sunday, April 7, 2013

Typing Out Loud: Know When to Hold 'Em, Know When to Walk Away

I have this as a shot glass, champagne glass, martini, beer mug and highball.  

A few weeks ago, out of the blue, I received an email from the national headquarters of my college fraternity, encouraging me to apply for a national leadership role. I jumped at the chance, did the appropriate research and history review.

But I began reconsidering during the interview with the delegates at the national council. I examined my heart throughout yesterday, and here was my reply this morning:


Good morning Alan.

I was struck by one of the delegates questions yesterday afternoon, asking me why I was coming back to Phi Gamma Nu after so many years. I suddenly felt my age.

I felt like one of the moms shopping with her teenage daughter at Forever 21, and dressing entirely too young, as there IS an age limit on micro minis.

Comedian Greg Beherendt once put it, attending a concert at 39, "I was creepy old guy, hanging out with the young punks; I remember creepy old guy and was bummed out by him and don't blame you for being bummed out by me."

I have conversed with national and Olympic level figure skaters post-retirement. They knew when they were "done," and comfortable ending the competitive chapter of their life.

The national board sounds like a dynamic group of young professionals that knows where and how to take PGN into the future. This is your time, and your organization. I had my time in the 90s and I assure you, I had a ball doing so, and accomplished all I wanted to accomplish then.

I am grateful for the opportunity to throw my hat in the ring, and let you all know there is alumni out there that still cares about PGN. I'm grateful to know the fraternity is in your good hands. I'm grateful for the chance to contemplate rejoining PGN on a national level, but must acknowledge that I'm not the person for the job.

Therefore, I'm withdrawing my application as national executive director.

Best of luck to all of you on the future of Phi Gamma Nu.

In Our Bond

Even ending my correspondence with "In Our Bond" labels me old school.

My history with PGN started as a pledge in 1991, when we were a professional business SORORITY. This is yet another detail to mark me a throwback as most chapters, by that time, had gone co-ed.

I have memories of carrying my pledge book, interviewing the sisters, studying for the tests, winning the pie eating contest during homecoming and thus securing our victory at the games. There was Greek Week, Comrades in Plaids, Delt Sig toga parties, 90210 night at the house, scholarship dinners and loving when I got to eat instead of cook, collecting pennies, Founder's Day, candle ceremonies, graduating my pledge classes, my little DSP brother David, and being little sisters to the SAEs.

Sweeping the academic awards at the Panhel banquet. Sisterly Sister. Actively Active. Winning the Alumni Scholarship as well as Sorority Comedian two years running. Earning the nickname TKO for drinking while still standing up as well as "mom" for the way I took care of my sisters. Hot tubbing at 10 below with a Greek soup of students and waking up on a plaid couch wearing a "I took the mai tai challenge!" t-shirt.Woodstock and costume parties at the Sig Ep house. Partying with Chocolate Thunder and Shoe.

Creating a new chapter. Attending the national convention and bonding with members from all over, including a guy from Mississippi and a gal from PA. All my sisters weddings. Arguing with the old Executive Director about marketing, public relations and promotion. All my Phi Gam drinkwear. And sadly, retiring one t-shirt after another, until all that is left is my red Phi Gam windbreaker from Greek Week 1993.

I'm not "done" with Phi Gams since my friendships have endured. But I have a full and complete history with the organization and am satisfied with what I have contributed and have nothing more left to add.

I don't feel like I failed the organization. I would have failed them had I accepted the position half-heartedly and not done the job I know I was capable of doing.

No comments:

That's It, Just One Line - Landslide

"Can I sail through the changing ocean tides, can I handle the seasons of my life?"