Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Why I'm Psyched to do the RBR

Hey, isn't that the girlfriend from Mallrats?

I got the postcard in the mail yesterday, giving me my bib number (21288) and verifying that I am running the River Bank Run's 10K race on May 11.

Yep, no turning back now.

In light events surrounding the Boston Marathon, I think most participants see it as our patriotic duty and right to run in the race; I know I do. But what else motivates me outside of defiance in the face of terrorism? For a 10K, makes sense to make a top 10 list.

(BTW, I refuse to say my run is an act of heroism. Let's reserve that definition for people facing real danger.)

10. Chance to slip into my racing alter ego, the Punk Rock Prom Queen. Why? After October's Fuel Your Fire race, I felt the need to find a persona that would help me find an inner drive. Prom Queen comes from my skating nickname. The punk rock, well I just picked that up from the Josie and the Pussycats soundtrack. Fitting, since I don't care what I wear, don't care how fast I am, as long as I finish.

9. Discovering 10 things challenge. I can drive 6.2 miles in nothing flat. But what do I miss along the way? I am motivated to find 10 things I would have missed otherwise. Could be a gargoyle on a building, maybe a frog crossing my path or someone's spring flower garden.

8. Last year, I did my 5K 14 pounds lighter than 2011; this year, I'm doing a 10K 23 pounds lighter than that! You do the math.

7. Killer mixes. One of my suggestions, Rush's "One Little Victory" was picked up by the RBR organizers and included in their training mix off their phone app. My favorite mix has been the Beatles, entitled "Why Don't We Do It in the Road?"

6. I'm gonna eat anything and everything I want in victory post-race. Cake? Loaded nachos? Cake? Beer? Cake? Don't mind if I do!

5. My collection of racing tees and bibs grows by one, and there's a new story to add to the boot box.

4. By continuing to train, I'm kicking diabetes ass.

3. By being active, I'm encouraging others to do the same. Will wants "to run da race!" I have girlfriends wanting to try too, leading to a group of us doing the Color Run in July.

2. I want that finish. I want that pin.
1. It pains me to admit, to validate myself, prove I can do it and that by completion, I really am an athlete and vanquish the latest bout of self doubt that creeps in like so many gray hairs along my temple. I thought I was done with this kind of self esteem issues after the first time I did the RBR, but of course one must never become complacent. With new challenges comes new fears and hopefully, a new reward.

No comments:

The Beatles, Ranked! The Bottom, or the Not so Fab

I'm fighting this too. I said I'd do it, so here it is. First, some "defend the music" just outside the bottom: Her Majest...