Wednesday, May 1, 2013

May Playlist: Melllllllooooooow

Tuning in.

It's funny thinking about my parents in the 70s, as they were in their 30s, and younger than I am now. I remember them going out on couples dates and attending parties, the whole ritual feeling terribly sophisticated and distinctly 70s.

I remember them going out with my dad's best friend Terry and his wife Chris, and we girls joining Tracy and her sister in a group slumber party at some one's condo. A condo! The basement had black, white and red diamond linoleum, groovy plastic furniture that reminded me of chess pieces and an upholstered bar with a bobbing drink bird where we stole maraschino cherries and olives. The basement opened up into the back yard with a weeping willow tree that freaked me out, as someone told me snakes hid in the branches. Then Chris and Terry divorced, yet another exotically adult scenario I didn't comprehend, and that put an end to sleepovers in the ritzy condo.

There was also the tiki party - adults only! - our neighbors Tony and Virginia hosted 3 doors away. I thought the tiki lights were the most beautiful thing I had ever seen, next to the large, plastic hibiscus flowers. And catering! To this point in my life, parties were made up of family home cooking by committee, the only indulgence being a bakery-bought cake. I watched with fascination as uniformed girls with serene smiles circulated with silver trays to the delight of the guests packed into Tony's beautiful back yard, framed with grape arbors and festive umbrellas. My parents came home from this party with gifts, as each guest was given a travel-sized item to go along with the Hawaiian theme. Dad got a tiny Shower-to-Shower that I played with so much, he eventually gave it to me.

Of course there was a typical bowling banquets, company Christmas parties, dinner parties. Although I was not privy to these swank 70s extravaganzas, I am confident my parents and their friends were not jamming to Zeppelin. Instead, I imagine these K-Tel tunes were rotating on the stereo hi-fi.


Please Come to Boston, David Loggins

I've Got a Name, Jim Croce

Lady, Little River Band

Chevy Van, Sammy Johns

Danny's Song, Loggins and Messina

Annie's Song, John Denver

Magnet and Steel, Walter Egan

American Dream, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

Fernando, ABBA

You Don't Bring Me Flowers, Neil Diamond and Barbra Streisand

I Love You, Climax Blues Band

Shambala, Three Dog Night

Suavecito, Malo

No comments:

That's It, Just One Line - Landslide

"Can I sail through the changing ocean tides, can I handle the seasons of my life?"