Thursday, May 1, 2014

May Playlist: Adult Nationals

These are my people.
When I discovered adult figure skating, I discovered my tribe. I was heartened and humbled by the cheers and tossies for me when I knew next to no one at my first AN in Kansas City in 2005. The competitor party was a special memory, as a solitary hug between Maureen and Kristin enveloped me, then Dee, then began to absorb every adult skater in its path, leading to an impromptu hokey pokey dance party and an all night champagne toast.

Along the way, songs have been added to the lexicon of skating, either because they capture a certain moment in time, have become go-to anthems at the party, or simply a signature.

Total Eclipse of the Heart, Bonnie Tyler: random pop up on an iPod while traveling through Canada on our way to Lake Placid, it became THE song of AN08. It was on repeat well on our way to Niagara Falls, at the grotto at our hotel, and "bath towel optional" hotel room dance party. Oh Sue, such a good look.

Celebration, Kool & the Gang: isn't this universal at any party?

Carmen Suite, Bizet: an overused piece of skating music, it is key element to drinking games and Skating Bingo.

Everybody Have Fun Tonight, Wang Chung: on our 10+ hour road trip to Minnesota in 2010, the WMAS (West Michigan Adult Skaters) girls got a little punchy in Chicago commute traffic and this song sent us over the edge, and shouting WANG CHUNG! became a rallying cry picked up by the competitors and US Figure Skating's coverage of the event.

Eye of the Tiger, Survivor: figure skating is a sport and of course we have a get pumped up go-to tune. Watch Becky lose her mind when it's played.

Never Been to Me, Charlene: Pathos from a woman who lived the high life warning a stay-at-home mom that the highs weren't so high. Oh the discourse in this song is hilarious, so camp. Jen and I will occasionally throw a line from this song at each other just to see if we are paying attention.

Hold On, Wilson Phillips: It came on the radio on our way to the Cape, and what started as a quiet singalong turned into a raucous chorus of girl power. It reappeared in the movie Bridesmaids, which we watched the morning before competition, and then it reared its head again on the way to the rink.

Back Dat Azz Up, Juvenile: this one was added this year, as the gang loaded into the van for the final day of competition. We responded accordingly.

Jessie's Girl, Rick Springfield: This one was adopted when Becky wished she had Stacy's spins or her jumps.

Evergreen, Barbra Striesand, Nothing Takes the Place of You, Toussant McCall, Dog and Butterfly, Heart: There are some times when it's just a duet between me and Michelle that gets on Jen's nerves. These are three songs off the top of my head that send Michelle and I into our parallel high school alternate universe where we were thick as thieves, in some sort of Square-Pegs-meets-Misfits-of-Science-MTV-video reality.

(Usually May is River Bank Run playlist month, but I haven't gotten around to it yet! Next month, I promise...)

No comments:

That's It, Just One Line - Landslide

"Can I sail through the changing ocean tides, can I handle the seasons of my life?"