Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Typing Out Loud: #Bring Back Our Girls

My girl is #136: Tabitha Silas

There are days when the subjects and interests of note are lighter than air and fluffier than a fresh from the package marshmallow.

This is not one of those subjects.

A militant group known as Boko Haram (which sounds much more fun than they are) admits to kidnapping a group of girls in the name of religion. Their crime? Going to school, educating themselves.

As more and more information is coming to light on how they were kidnapped, why they were kidnapped, and what their fate may be (rape, forced marriage, murder), I get angrier at how history as a whole treats women, and how groups justify this horrific treatment.

But what can I do, all the way up in Michigan? For one thing, exercise my freedoms here in the US. Vote. Vote for people who will accept a world view where it's not acceptable to treat women this way. Care less about Kardashians and more about girls who are brave enough to get up in the morning and attend their physics final.

I'm praying for you Tabitha. I hope when you are found again, it's as a freshman at MIT in the sciences, wearing a Katy Perry concert tee.

No comments:

#700: The Beatles, Ranked! The NAs

Er, not quite Post #700 if I'm counting correctly!  As posted previously, I dialed down my ambition to rank all the Beatles songs, decid...