Friday, March 1, 2019

It's Been a While...

So I have been engrossed in the everyday life of work, being a mom and wife, and an active figure skating judge, and not keeping up with the blog the way I wanted. Hitting the gym, getting my sessions in at the rink, and watching my health.

Then came my annual mammogram.

I scheduled it for my Christmas break, so it would be an easy in and out at the local clinic, and I would have an excuse to be lazy and eat leftover cookies because my boobs hurt from being in a vise.

I get a call the regular tech was sick, and she had the keys to the mobile unit, so I could reschedule for another day or I could go to another clinic. Since I had nothing else to do, I opted for the same day reschedule.

Everything is pretty routine, until lefty is in the vise. I say to the tech, "Immma gonnnnna sneeeeze!"

"Please don't!" she implored.

I stare at the ceiling, I try the press your upper lip trick, while holding my breath because I'm not supposed to move.

I sneeze as she snaps the film. So I have to get it taken again.

I don't think anything of this, I'm actually a bit smug leaving the clinic, applauding myself for making sure to take care of my health.

Two hours later, everything changes.

The clinic calls, and with a professional singsong voice, I'm told they're not sure, they think they found something, but need me to come back in for another mammogram to be sure. They are so no big deal about it, that I almost dismiss it.

Almost.

So I live with a nagging fear leading into new year's.

Could it be cancer?

And thus a new chapter begins.

No comments:

Secret Life of Objects: Parrot Magnet

  I’ve had this magnet since the early 80s and details are murky. I don’t remember if my aunt or grandma made it, but I know I bought it at ...