Friday, March 15, 2019

The Waiting is the Hardest Part...

After I'm set up for the biopsy, now comes the harsh reality of how to pay for it. I don't have great insurance, but thank God for some sort of protection. I can't imagine facing this diagnosis and having no coverage. It seems cruel on top of it all.

Anyway, as comfortable as we are, payment requires some shuffling of funds, and is not what I want to think about while being told "this is something, or this is nothing." Felt like an expensive Saturday Night Live skit.

Also, it was coming time to inform Will something was going on. I was headed to the hospital a little more than usual, and of course the day of my biopsy, there's a snow day. We can't avoid telling him what's up.

He takes it with a grain of salt, just happy he's going to be able to play Minecraft on his phone.

I check in, and hand over the wad of cash. I get called back for the now typical locker room-gown check in. Butterflies are flying, and as I'm changing, nurse comes in and says "wait! We have to check something! Is it just a freckle?"

A freckle? Of course! This is nothing!

Oh, never mind. False alarm.

I'm taken into the area where they will be doing the biopsy, and I have to get on the bed and allow my left breast to hang through a hole in the table. When asked if I'm flexible enough to do it comfortably, I reply in irritation, "I'm a figure skater, I can do this!"

The way I was positioned in the room, I was facing away from everyone. At one point, I felt completely disconnected from everything that was happening. At one point, a Queen song was going through my head, and I remember thinking "stop, because if this is bad news, it will ruin this song forever and I don't want that." And for the life of me, I can't remember what the song was.

They remove the sample, and ushered into another room for ANOTHER mammogram. It's noted they dropped a clip, and whatever IT is, they removed most of IT in the biopsy, so I guess I should be relieved.

I asked what was next, and was told I should have results in 48-72 hours. This is on a Wednesday afternoon, so this could mean I know by Friday or Monday.

And so I wait...

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...