Thursday, May 9, 2019

"I'm Not Ready to be a Cancer Patient"

Not quite on board with all the pink ribbon stuff, but I've made some compromises.

Coming home from the US Figure Skating championships, I was a little nervous and overwhelmed with how to approach Dave and Will in person with the news. Did I need to be strong for them? Were they going to be strong for me? Tears? Fears? What?

I walked in the door, and everything felt shockingly normal. Like nothing had happened.

So I braced myself for the curious condolences for work the next day. But in an unprecedented move, due to our amazing Michigan winters, the university was closed... for five days.

This left me home with the boy, looking up breast cancer on the internet to understand what a ductal carcinoma is exactly, and for my imagination to work overtime.

And prepare to meet my surgeon on Wednesday.

Oh, the weather... government agencies cancelling services, road closures, business posting if they would be open or not, but I still had an appointment with oncology at 8am.

Dave still made it to work that Tuesday, and brought home a care package from the Bluebird Retreat Cancer Center, a nice basket with a blanket, water bottle, books, and treats. I know I should have been grateful, but instead, I was taken aback.

Startled by the look on my face, Dave asked what was wrong, and I answered feebly, "I'm not ready to be a cancer patient yet. But I've got less than 12 hours before I become one."

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...