Sunday, May 19, 2019

Oncology Team: Defeat Cancer NOW!

Common as soup.


Dr. McCahill: surgery oncology. He was the guy who looked at the films, determined the size and scope of the invasion - a perfect word for this, btw - and did the surgery. He changed the diagnosis from stage 0 to stage 1- invasive, once he reviewed the results from the surgery. He is the one who decided I needed radiation therapy, but no chemotherapy.

Dr. T: radiation oncology, a.k.a. The Radioactive Man. Young guy born in Turkey, raised here. We dropped an "I pity the fool with breast cancer!" reference to him, much to his delight, as not many people he treated were familiar with the actor/celebrity. He seemed young, nervous, but matter of fact about my treatment plan. Having done some research - and finding all the worse case scenarios - I was nervous that I would be at it for 8 weeks, my skin was going to rot off, and my left breast would turn into a sad little raisin. He told me to get off the internet.

Dr. Haque: medical oncology. Close talker, kinda intense, health food advocate. He was shocked by my anger and frustration that my hormones are working against me, again. Suggested I follow a mediterranean diet, something I will be considering. Applauded my activity level, and encouraged me to keep up with everything. Oh, don't think I won't.

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...