Tuesday, October 13, 2020

LHOTR - The China Shepherdess

 

Symbolic

Any LauraFan will tell you one of the consistencies in the Little House books is the moment Ma decided the family was settled in their new home. That's when the china shepherdess came out from her nest of quilts to grace the mantel, be it a log cabin, frame house, dugout, lean-to, farmhouse, or storefront doubling as a home. 

Today, the well guy is inspecting his previous work to fix it so the sale of the cottage can pass from the owners to us. 

I organized the piles on Friday, as my garage sale canisters have found tea bags and granola bars to fill them. And Saturday afternoon was such a perfect fall day, we drove up to the cottage just to look at it. Peeking inside, we noticed the toaster oven and some of the old blankets are gone, but it looks like there's a new coffeemaker on the kitchen counter and a pair of new pillows on the bed, so the Joys' time is coming to a close while we are anticipating the start of our time as weekenders. 

And for some reason, my Lladró statue of the Virgin Mary has been staring at me through hooded eyelids. Is she to be my china shepherdess for the Little House on the River? I have been adamant about no knick knacks that need to be dusted or things I'd be terrified of breaking. She was Very Expensive. But maybe she needs to get out of the house and grace our little home away from home. I think her box is still downstairs. 

But where to put her, as we have no mantel? Such pleasurable things to contemplate. 

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...