Tuesday, July 27, 2021

“You Aren’t Special”

 

Over 20 national competitions? Whatever…

I’ll admit it - I was triggered by a meme that had nothing to do with me. The phrase? 

“You’re nothing special.”

I’ve heard this, or a version of this, all my life. I used to grin and bear it, saying it kept me humble. Snide comments to “keep my feet on the ground.” Dismissal of accomplishments. Or simply, ignored.

You’re nothing special.

I wonder if my extracurriculars are considered self indulgent. If others think I'm delusional, even though I know I’m not that good. Trophies dismissed as "participation medals" even in the face of competition. 

You think I don’t hear the dismissal? The catty comments? The snark? 

I heard it when I graduated from college. Best in Show in an art competition. ArtPrize. Skating. Running. Any time I stick my neck out, I could hear the knife being sharpened, someone eager to cut me down to size.

You’re nothing special. 

I know. You think I don’t? But maybe, just maybe, with every attempt to stretch my limits, push past my comfort zone, there’s a little moment of special that erases your negativity. 

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...