Saturday, July 30, 2022

Why Art Matters: the Tribute Band

Rawk.

We’ve been seeing a lot of tribute shows lately, last night was the Four Horseman, a Metallica tribute band.

I used to be kind of snobby about the tribute band concept. They were attractions best left for the older crowd to pretend if they squinted really hard, they were seeing the real-life thing.

Well, hello to my fifties. 

My attitude changed seeing Classic Albums Live perform Queen’s Night at the Opera. They were fantastic.

Eager to get my Faux Queen on, we went to see a tribute band that came highly regarded. They irritated me - two guys were decked out as replica Brian May and Freddie Mercury. Did I get a hot fake John Deacon?

I did not.

For me, make it about the music, not about posing. We saw Thunderhead, the Rush tribute band the day it was announced Neil Peart died. No attempts were made to look like Geddy or Alex, the music is what mattered.

I’m back on the bandwagon.

We’ve seen Brit Floyd and Let There Be Rock, an AC/DC tribute band.  The Metallica band (I have the beautifully soft Deaky shouting “Metallica!” in my head right now) were peak fanboys in their unabashed enthusiasm in representing their favorite band on the road and doing the music justice. 

There are a ton of tribute bands performing at the Coast Guard Festival this week. I don’t know if it’s the new trend or if I’m now the audience for this genre. We will see if we head out for a show this week.

No comments:

Rethinking Orange

I have a thing for citrus Orange is... Taste:  candied grapefruit peel that is bright, citrusy, bitter, and sweet Touch: warm sunshine with ...