Monday, January 2, 2023

2023: Secret Life of Objects


The theme of this book is simple: the author tells stories of her life based on how she obtained an object: a coffee mug, a pair of shoes, and a prayer book.

It was an engaging method of storytelling, by setting a timeline and tying seemingly unrelated objects together in a cohesive portrait. Dawn’s objects lean heavily towards dishes, which makes sense as food and meals create community. 

This is reminiscent of another book I loved, Life, Love, and What I Wore, the author telling stories through tunics, ties, evening gowns, and purses. 

As a theme for my own storytelling, I’m going to give this a try. I certainly have pieces with a story to tell. How about telling the story of obtaining this book?

New Year's Eve, 2022. A gray winter day up at our cottage, and the mission was a short road trip to explore some of the resort towns in northern Michigan. Our travels took us up to the town of Frankfort. We discovered charming shops, community art, and several little free libraries. I keep a bag of books in the car for exchange and found this one. Traveling east, we found more libraries in Empire, where we stopped for a glimpse of Lake Michigan. 

That’s a chilly landscape.

We also stopped at North Peak Brewing for a late lunch, the three of us splitting a huge bowl of mussels in a rich garlic broth. 

Coming home, I settled in and read it and three other books while the boys watched football.

For its next life, I will gift it to Cara, she who gave me Life, Love, and What I Wore many years ago. 

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...