Friday, May 5, 2023

May Playlist: May, 1990

The gang, probably winter 1990, given the sweaters. Happy birthday, Amy in the blue; I am in her armpit. Matthes has his mouth open, at right.

What can I tell you about May 1990? I was wrapping up my first year away from home, finding my people in VizComm at Ferris and at the station, WRKX. Too much partying, not enough sleep. Too many boys but no serious commitment, this was pre-Dave. Some details are hazy but I recall Jeff with the drug problem, the guy from Turkey that declared us engaged after one too many pitchers of green motorcycles at the Alibi on St. Patrick's Day, Marc with a C who looked like a young Joe Piscipo, unfun Fred who took me mudding and didn't make a move on me all night, and Greg from the radio station who took me to Ponderosa before 4 because we were charged lunch prices. I can’t believe I dated him for two stretches of time that year. 

This was pre-grunge too, so we were still listening to hair bands, classic rock, and dance music. I remember hanging at Dave Matthes’ house listening to one album after another, not ready to see the school year-end. Same at my apartment, the girls and I stringing together a playlist while packing up to move out. Still bitter we lost the $10 deposit on the fire extinguisher because a couch caught on fire in the parking lot outside of our apartment… like we had anything to do with it. 

Feeling That Way/Anytime, Journey - I had a copy of the album Infinity that I got at a library sale for a quarter that was only a little warped. Dina and I would belt this at the top of our lungs.

U Can’t Touch This, MC Hammer - this song was everywhere for a long time in 1990, with lyrics easy enough to shout: makes me say, oh my Lord! 

Heartbreaker/Living Loving Maid, Led Zeppelin - roommate Sue developed a thing for Led Zeppelin that spring, which was a relief from all the New Kids on the Block. 

Love Song, Tesla - back to roommate Dina, this song was on heavy rotation at 2 a.m. when we needed a singalong to clear our heads and wake up in the middle of writing papers due at 9 a.m.

Without You, Motley Crüe - an homage to roommate Cindy, the Crüe was her band. Is it a better ballad than Home Sweet Home? Time and AOR stations would disagree. 

Coming of Age, Damn Yankees - middle America, rural college, wearing plaid before Seattle made it a thing. Why? Because we were cold. 

The Joker, Steve Miller Band - another classic rock staple that was always on our playlist. We are going to try to see him on tour this year before he calls it quits. It was an old song in 1990, and it's 2023 - that's... wow. 

Nothing Compares 2 U, Sinead O’Connor - Amy (above), this was her breakup song. We heard it about three days in a row. Then she got better. 

Vogue, Madonna - we all danced to it.

Poison, Bel Biv DeVoe - we all danced to it.

The Power, Snap! - we all danced to it.

Rub You the Right Way, Johnny Gill - my dad sat next to him on a plane once.

Enjoy the Silence, Depeche Mode - college radio station, of course, we played it.

Crown of Thorns. Mother Love Bone - early grunge, I played it. 

Big Dumb Sex, Soundgarden - another early clue to the new direction.

Cuts You Up, Peter Murphy - thus concluding our college indie portion of the program.

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...