Thursday, May 25, 2023

One More RBR

I couldn’t resist giving it another try, so I signed up for the 46th River Bank Run. From chiro to family practitioner to health coach to physical therapist, I heard “The walk, right?”

Sigh… yes.

Bib and hooray for beer. 

Cheered on by Olympic medalist Brian Diemer. I reluctantly admitted to the walk and not the run. He wouldn't let me dismiss myself, saying “You’re out there, that makes you one of us!”

Signage - now I know the effort it takes to get these hung and agreed upon by the city. 

About to start. I made a donation at the last minute at the expo and ended up representing a charity partner who gave me a t-shirt to run in, Family Futures. It was a nice tech shirt and our friends the Holmes interned there. Nice connection! 

“Hi, this is Ringo… and you’re listening to The Beatles Channel.” How does he always show up at the start or finish line? 

Ready to go. 

Finish! I waved my bib number at the announcer to get my shout-out. The finish line song was George singing For You Blue, the mix was Sorry About the Shirts! Beatles people know. Also, my time was under an hour, which was unexpected, never mind the time listed in the photo - that was for the 10K people. 

Canned margarita earned. I won’t be drinking that again.

I’ve done marathons (ok, on a bike), half marathons, and more, all the way down to this 5k walk - this is the event I get a bloody sock on?! The culprit was a sharp middle toenail that gouged my second toe and then broke. Do I get street cred for this? 

By doing the walk and COVID virtual races, I’ve participated in every race I’m eligible to do, completing 12 total. I’m still proud of that second place in my age group. The 50th-anniversary run is on the horizon, I want to keep going. 

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...