Saturday, July 8, 2023

What’s Right in the World: Called Up to the Show

OMG, it’s happening!

Press pic at his locker.


I’m a little nostalgic.



Wish we were there for this - his first major league hit. 

He’s accumulating highlight reels - this catch then how he avoided a double play. 

So there I was, happy with my afghan rescue haul, sweaty from the heat, and about to tuck into a turkey and tomato sandwich when I decided to check the spotty internet to see what was going on in the world. 

And there’s the tweet: Dane made it to The Show. 

I gasped and Will asked me what was wrong. I showed him and said, “Dane got called up!” A huge grin spread across his face as I started to cry. Dave was napping and we both went in to tell him the news. 

I texted Rhonda and Mallory for confirmation and yes, it was true.

We texted our congratulations to them and then to Dane who shared his thanks for our support and his love. 

He didn’t get into the game on the third but he did on the fourth, and boy did he, going two for three. Next day another two-for-three. Next day, two-for-four, and a spectacular play in center against the wall - the Marlins calling him The Great Dane. 

We agree.

To have witnessed all he’s gone through since he was drafted in 2017 and for him to still flourish… good for him. He deserves every bit of positive press, every accolade, every highlight, everything.

I don’t know the protocol now for following and cheering. He’s family to us, but he belongs to his fans now too. I’m sure he’s getting inundated with people vying for his attention. We will always be there, time to gingerly step to the side and allow him space to enjoy this. 

Of course, then he hits his first majors league home run and we pepper him with more congrats. 

C'mon Andre, it's your turn. 

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...