Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Secret Life of Objects: Afghan Rescue


That's a lot of blankets. 

I belong to a Facebook group called Weird and Wonderful Secondhand Finds. In it, members post images of, well, weird and wonderful things they have found while thrifting or at yard sales, and last year, there was a month where people posted nothing but crazy afghans they found. It was at that moment I fell in love with the artistry, the craft, and the colors. 

During that same time, I rescued a crocheted afghan for fifty cents, and Oscar admired my work. When I prepared a Christmas box for him, I threw a thrifted chevron blanket in the box for him. His mom messaged me to say he has slept with it ever since. 

I stumbled upon an opportunity to rescue one blanket this year, and it morphed into the piles you see here. Since it is Secret Life of Objects (SLoO), the story for these afghans is that they have mostly been acquired from Hersey's House of Hope where you pay what you want, a couple yard sales, a couple gifted by my friend Cherilyn, and two that were quite literally rescued from FREE piles by the side of the road. Currently, I am up to 24 with a goal of 30; however, I hit 24 so quickly, I might see if I can get to 40. 

So what am I going to do with them? Adult skaters are always looking for unusual tossies for competition, so it's Operation Afghan Rescue. I have washed, dried, and sanitized them, and these are going to be my competitor gifts for AN24. And I dunno, there's one in the pile that I just may have to save for myself. 

Edited to add: as of 7/31, I made it to 30! I'm going to dial it down, but if I stumble upon some lovelies that need rescuing, I'm gonna do it. 

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...