Wednesday, November 1, 2023

November Song: Say a Prayer

 

Only Madonna could get away with turning The Act of Contrition into an argument with a hotel desk clerk.

Goal: write a song a month, with the resolve to not self-edit or worry if it’s crap. My thoughts are wandering with this one, and I'm indeed worried it's crap -  I've been working on this last song for about six months and wondering if I should have scrapped it for something easier. 

Does prayer work? Which are the most effective, rote recitation or an honest conversation with a deity? Are we putting good vibes out when we pray, leading to healing on a base level or is there a higher power? Who indeed is doing the healing? And what if He says no, how do we know?

With this post, I will have an even dozen songs under my belt, the great artistic endeavor of 2023. I have new themes planned for 2024.


There's a crisis in our town,

Say a little prayer.

A storm came through, trees came down,

Say a little prayer. 


Say a little prayer.


Kate found a shadow in a picture, 

Did I say a little prayer? 

I put my intentions in a box, 

Care in place of prayer. 


Say a little prayer.

Say a little prayer.


I'm not asking for a bended knee,

Just a bit of intention. 

I don't need any piety, 

Just a thought, a tear, an inflection. 


There's a cause for celebration,

Say a little prayer.

A grace, a gift, a time to rejoice,

Say a little prayer. 

No comments:

Rethinking Orange

I have a thing for citrus Orange is... Taste:  candied grapefruit peel that is bright, citrusy, bitter, and sweet Touch: warm sunshine with ...