Wednesday, October 25, 2023

Typing Out Loud: To the End of the World

At least it's not green. 

Had a weird dream that has stuck with me this morning: I dreamed about the end of the world. 

It wasn't because of war, I don't think, but perhaps the aftermath. It wasn't a lack of food, but definitely a resource, like air. 

Groups of people were sequestered into Jetsons-like bubble/pod communities in order to conserve the air and keep us away from vegetation that was feebly trying to keep up with the demand for fresh air, but plants and trees were dying off. 

I was in my pod, in the cafeteria. Cheerleaders from high school were there, and acting as mean girls do. There was no choice for food anymore, you got what you got, and for this meal, I was given a large slice of apple pie and cubed fried potatoes. I didn't want it. 

Jason Brown, the figure skater, was playing an acoustic guitar and singing soothing songs, but I was the only one paying attention to him. 

A minister was preaching, and telling everyone "God has a plan! He has a plan!" and that seemed to calm everyone down. He confided in me there was no plan, his job was to provide hope. 

I noted that no one seemed to be taking any action, it was all as if it were an ordinary Wednesday. And for some reason, Laura Branigan's song Self Control was on a loop somewhere, a noise you could hear but not exactly locate. 

The only colors were black, white, gold, and a shimmery emerald green. 

The light became dimmer and dimmer until the only thing visible was Saturn, but almost a cartoon version of Saturn, a shimmering green globe encircled by gold bands. I wanted nothing more than to see Will and Dave one last time, but I couldn't find them.

And then nothingness. 

The day is going to be weird, with the lingering images floating in my head.

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...