Saturday, February 10, 2024

Typing Out Loud: Judging The Beatles

Opinions can change, I love this!

I had grand plans to rank every single Beatles song that has ever made it to the public's ear. To do so would mean ranking over 300 songs, from In Spite of All the Danger, which was recorded by ambitious teenagers in 1958, to the latest Now and Then, a digital masterpiece that was released in November 2023. 

That's 65 years of music. And while Paul and Ringo have said "That's it," there's now noise about using the AI technology to release Live at the Star Club bootlegs from the Hamburg bar scene, bringing Pete and Stu some more performing credits. 

It was easy to start charting my bottom couple of songs, and then I hit a snag. Working my way up, I went from hate to meh and realized there wasn't too much difference between 267 and 219.  

And my affection for a song can be on a sliding scale, contingent on attitude or maybe a new way of seeing things. A case in point is Come Together, a tedious classic rock staple until Beatles 1+ was released, including the video created to launch Beatles.com, and I fell in love with the song again. 

I also realize I don't want to set my love in stone. If I put Don't Bother Me at #77, I want the right to move it up in case the Foo Fighters cover it or if it's used to frame a key scene in a new favorite movie. 

Finally, there are multiple versions of songs to tackle. It's Only Love from Help! exists, as does the version from Anthology 2. Multiple versions of While My Guitar Gently Weeps; I love the version from the White Album, but then there are the alt versions from Cirque de Soliel's Love, and the remaster in 2018. 

So what to do? 

I have a blog post already written noting what I have listed as the NAs. I think I will roll with a bottom and a top. I'm pretty adamant about my top 10 and bottom 10, the fun may be in the fringes. 

 

No comments:

Rethinking Orange

I have a thing for citrus Orange is... Taste:  candied grapefruit peel that is bright, citrusy, bitter, and sweet Touch: warm sunshine with ...