Thursday, November 4, 2010

Cyndi My Hero

Speech class, Sophomore year in high school, we were asked to give an impromptu speech on someone we admire. No time at all to really prepare or give it too much thought since I was second in line, based on the starting point chosen by my teacher.

The muses of my 15 year old self are murky some 25 years later. Being a girl who had-friends-but-wasn't-exactly-popular, I know there was a lot of editing going on in my head: say the wrong thing and have that used against you as evidence of your nerd-dom, but still stay true to yourself, because how else are would you get through a one minute speech without preparation if you lie?

Suddenly, it was my turn and I blurted out, "Cyndi Lauper."

My teacher seemed genuinely surprised by my answer. Given that my last speech was about baseball (Milt Wilcox), my teacher asked me to explain the shift in my interests.

I talked about the breadth and depth of her songwriting, her singing talent, and her unique, thrifty personal style.

To that, my teacher said, "her personal style is kind of out there, don't you think?" and I retorted, "she doesn't care what people think," an honest assessment of my wish, at that time, to feel the same.

History has proven my choice of muse a good one. Campiness of her WWF ties and thrift store wardrobe aside, Lauper's carer is marked by significant achievements as a performer and songwriter as well as her longevity in the spotlight. She's done movies, Broadway and reality television. She's done pop music, punk, musicals, and standards. Two of her songs, True Colors and Time after Time, routinely make rock magazine and music channel's countdowns of best songs.

She is also an advocate for people. A high school drop out, she saw the value in an education and went back to earn her GED and encouraged others to empower themselves and do the same. An advocate for all persons to be treated with dignity and respect, she is a spokesperson for the rights of gays, lesbians and transgendered.

All the while, she conducted herself with class, dignity and nary a scandal.

But how has she affected me, as a person? Because of that little declaration in 1985, Lauper became someone to emulate, someone to follow. I'm not saying I started sporting "What Would Cyndi Lauper do?" bracelets, but her style allowed me the bravery to march to the beat of my own drummer. Her songwriting inspired me in everything from accepting who I am and what I wanted to accomplish as a creative person.

I was flipping thorugh random youtube videos and stumbled upon Cyndi Lauper performing with Scott Weiland for a VH1 Honors special a few years back. The years have treated Cyndi well, for her inner and outer beauty is crystal clear, her voice pure and lovely.

Some muses are meant only to inspire for a moment, but I'm thankful that Cyndi has been a source for many years.

No comments:

The Beatles, Ranked! The Bottom, or the Not so Fab

I'm fighting this too. I said I'd do it, so here it is. First, some "defend the music" just outside the bottom: Her Majest...