Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Christmas Show Afterglow

I performed this weekend as part of the Georgetown Holiday on Ice ensemble. It was amazing, and so much fun to be a part of such a creative group.

There were 20 acts in all, from group numbers to solos, beginners to elite, babies to adults. There was a Grinch and a Nutcracker Prince, and two versions of Silent Night that were somehow completely different. Divas made their presence known, as well as pop princesses and boy bands.

I did indeed perform a comedy number to the New Christy Mintrels version of "We Need a Little Christmas!" The premise behind the program, as described earlier, was to be a Christmas-crazy calendar girl who despairs to turn the pages of her calendar to sucky days like Tax Day or unusual ones like Talk Like a Pirate Day, until I finally find it to be Christmas.

I was told a.) I skated faster than anyone has ever seen me skate; b.) I skated well; c.) the concept was really funny once people put 2 + 2 together; and finally d.) I engaged the audience in my program and they applauded through the whole thing. I don't know, I've seen the pics on facebook and there's quite a few people who were clock-watching, sleeping, or looking at something other than me on the ice.

Who cares about over-analyzing -- it was FUN!

There was a reception afterwards, and we contributed punch to the festivities. It was a huge ego boost to hear all the compliments and to see how the audience enjoyed themselves. The spread was amazing and I caught the baby a couple of times stealing cookies off the tray. He avoided the sushi tray, which just meant more for us.

Already there is talk -- will we do this again? Already there is a resounding YES!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like so much fun!! Any video for those of us so far away??

That's It, Just One Line - Landslide

"Can I sail through the changing ocean tides, can I handle the seasons of my life?"