Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Training for the 5/3 River Bank Run - WHY!?

I had a wonderful opportunity to write a short essay on why I was planning on running the Fifth Third River Bank Run in May. The prize is a free entry into the race. I hope if this doesn't get me the prize, it at least gives 'em a chuckle:

"I will admit I hate running, especially after my training mile today. I hated running in high school too, those steamy, wretched days when Ms. Hogle's voice would echo through freshman gym, wondering where we "laggers" were hiding, usually behind the bleachers where the air conditioner blew cold and refreshing. But that nagging desire to finish kept most of us going: that miserable, face-pounding, arches-aching, exhausting moment when you passed her and she barked your finish time, a little faster than the last.

As I grew to adulthood, I traded my running shoes for figure skates and I have gotten far more use out of them. I’m proud to say I’ve trained in the sport for over 10 years, have passed numerous tests, and won a medal at the most recent adult national championship.

But I still feel a masochistic urge to run, and the desire to accomplish a "finish" in a road race, do something at the creaky age of 41 that I couldn’t or wouldn’t do at 14. I think Ms. Hogle would shout her approval."

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...