Thursday, June 16, 2011

June Playlist part 2 - You Wrecked Me, Baby



So my play list idea was so popular for me, that I have to do this in 2 parts. Now for the rest of the alphabet:

Maybe, The Three Degrees - history is unclear why the band wasn't more successful, perhaps it's because radio couldn't handle the heat these ladies generated. Love the spoken word beginning, then it's pure torch.

Melt With You, Modern English - if you're going to have a one-hit wonder, make it this one. This new romantics song is pure 80s pop, and it was HUGE. Danceable, romantic, an iconic moment from the movie "Valley Girl." What a *sigh* moment.

Midnight Train to Georgia, Gladys Knight and the Pips - "I'd rather live in his world than live without him in mine."

My Blue Heaven, Smashing Pumpkins - This one may appear again as a cover better than the original. The key is the Pumpkins took it back to its original 1920s version.

Nearly Lost You, Screaming Trees - Grunge with a heart. A key single on the soundtrack for the movie Singles and one I listened to over and over.

Next Time I Fall, Peter Cetera and Amy Grant - does it blow my cred to have this lite-rock staple? I don't care, the harmonies on this are sweet and Amy rocks it a little harder than Pete.

Ooh Child, The Five Stairsteps - an old Soul Train song I remembered hearing as a kid. When used for the soundtrack to Crooklyn, it completely destroys you feeling for poor Junebug.

Ode to Billie Joe, Bobby Gentry - southern Gothic story song.

One for My Baby, Bette Midler - Sweet melancholy that evokes images of two people not wanting to leave the bar unless it's with each other. I'm skating to it.

Roll Me Away, Bob Seger
- Multi-faceted impression on me. First, from the movie Mask, a eulogy of sorts for Rocky Dennis. Second, the lyrics get you *rightthere*: "just then I saw a young hawk soaring and my soul began to rise, and pretty soon, my heart was singin'."

The Rose, Bette Midler - knockout performance and a signature song.

Shame on the Moon, Bob Seger - country blues waltz that sounds like there's only two people in the world.

Bette ~ Bob ~ Bette ~ Bob!

Slow and Easy, Whitesnake - the case to make if someone dismisses 'snake as a novelty act with models writhing on cars. Simply sexy.

Solitary Man, Neil Diamond - a dated song that is somehow timeless. About a guy who can't get it right.

Something, The Beatles - the moment when George Harrison trumps John and Paul for the best Beatles ballad.

A Song for You, Leon Russell - back when my folks first sprung for the deluxe hi-fi stereo, the album Americana sat in the cassette deck, unlistened by me and my two sisters. My penance is that I did not discover the delicate whiskey ballad until much, much later in life. I think of that time as wasted.

Someone Saved my Life Tonight, Elton John - Sir Elton's symphony for having been rescued by a friend from drugs or a miserable love affair.

Sour Girl, Stone Temple Pilots - I liked the band, then this song sent me over the edge to adore. Scott Weiland's talented slithering around harmonies are tragic and sexy.

Stay (Far Away, So Close), U2 - poetry set to music, delivered with Bono's haunting vocals. Gorgeous video too, makes you feel like seeing an indie band's rehearsal to see the guitarist flirt with the lead singer.

Sukiyaki, Kyu Sakamoto and Taste of Honey - one version in Japanese, one in English, hits 18 years apart, yet both artful and touching.

The He Kissed Me, The Crystals - sweet teenage lyrics that bebop with a charm all its own.

Thief, Belly - "because of you I came, because of you I breathe."

This Woman's Work, Kate Bush - a beautiful song coupled with a skating performance that defied the skater's maturity. I got to see this performance twice, and it wrecked me for the rest of the day.

Try a Little Tenderness, Otis Redding - thank you John Hughes for creating the character of Duckie, just so he could perform an impassioned lip synch to Andie in Pretty in Pink. Alas, you got the love story wrong, because who could resist Duckie after this?

The Unforgiven, Metallica - "what I felt, what I know, never shined through in what I shown, don't see what might have been." Talk about regret.

Violet, Hole - strangely prophetic, the song is steeped in anger, helplessness and loss.

When Will I See You Again, The Three Degrees - had I been a bettin' man, I would have put up all my Cheerios back in the 70s that this group was going to be bigger than the Supremes. That I was wrong doesn't change my opinion.

When You're Next To Me, Mitch and Mickey - real song, fake band, from the movie A Mighty Wind. Catherine O'Hara and Eugene Levy portray star-crossed folk singers that managed to produce some quality music for the mockumentary.

Where the Boys Are, Connie Francis
- ol' Connie manages to color her song with that hopeful, wistful longing so important to teenage pop.

While My Guitar Gently Weeps, the Beatles - one of the best things about the White Album.

Why Can't I Have You, The Cars - one of my biggest regrets to date is the fact I've never seen The Cars in concert. This song is one of the reasons why it is necessary that I do.

Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald, Gordon Lightfoot - it's a Michigander's duty to know this song by heart. It's on this list for the mere reason that I bawled my eyes out during my pregnancy when I heard this. "It's just so SAD!" I wailed, "twenty-nine souls!"

You're in My Heart, Rod Stewart - so sweet, a touch of sexy, a girl could be easily seduced by this.

Your Song, Elton John - no list would be complete without it.

1952 Vincent Black Lightening, the Mammals - one of those epic folk story songs, that ends tragicly but with lots of passion inbetween.

Next month: Rock Star, or songs I'd sing if I were lead singer.

No comments:

That's It, Just One Line - Landslide

"Can I sail through the changing ocean tides, can I handle the seasons of my life?"