Thursday, June 9, 2011

Festival, Pinterest, and The Great Purge of 2011



First I must report about the lovely time had at Festival this year. To the uninitiated, Festival of the Arts is a 3-day celebration of culinary, performing, and visual arts. This translates into food, music, dancing and art. With great weather, it also means tons of people.

Performances: two set of little girls in pink tutus, a jazz band, a punk rock band, a swing band, Greek folk dancers, a couple of street performers and the GR Symphony Band.

Art: we toured the GRAM for free and were able submit our people's choice votes for the regional art exhibition. There were great pieces and I voted for the big sock monkey.

Food: the main attraction! I had halava with blue berries and strawberries; nimbupani, which is an exotic blend of lemon, ginger and rosewater; souvlaki, a marinated pork sandwich; pavlova, a meringue shell with fresh fruit and whipped cream; and split a mint ice cream cone.

Having experienced a few of my favorite things, I've spent some time playing with a new website that categorically keeps track of your favorite things, www.pinterest.com. It's mindless fun and starts getting pretty addiciting once you get into it. I have created a couple of new categories to list the concerts I've been to and my concert wish list.

And finally... onto the great purge of 2011, also known as garage sale prep. I've started slow, but have one, yes ONE room swept of excess crap. It took me one whole afternoon to purge 75% of the VHS tapes out, noting with sadness that it has been a long time since anyone watched a video in our house. It also took a whole afternoon to go through the main floor office cabinets and drawers - why did we need 27 Whitecaps and US Figure Skating pencils?

I move on with great repidation to the kitchen. Should be easy enough, I think there's very little to get rid of there, but I haven't been in the cabinets about the fridge in a long while...

No comments:

March: That's It, Just One Line - Burning For You

"Time everlasting, time to play B sides." Happy birthday to my love, who always takes time for B sides, and whose love is everlast...