Wednesday, August 10, 2011

August Playlist - Summer Shuffle


Will rushed the "stage" to rock out to the Verve Pipe at his first-ever rock show. He was wearing a Rush tee until Donny changed his shirt.

My Sweet Lord, George Harrison - getting geared up for the Scorcese documentary in October about the Quiet Beatle. And, I'm thinking about skating to it for the Christmas show.

Last Friday Night, Katy Perry - a catchy little number with a cute video that made me temporarily forget I can't stand her. The lyrics are hysterical.

Pumped Up Kicks, Foster the People - the song was an indie favorite on WYCE and college radio this spring, so I was shocked when it popped up on VH1 this summer. Also shocking was how freakin' hot the band is. Dave and I Shazam'ed the song several times, and the third time, I finally bought it on the iPhone. Ain't technology wonderful?

Tightrope, Janelle Montae - first heard this song in a WERQ class, and was so mesmerized by the beat, I got through the worst of the class. Girl is lauded by fashion mags for her too-feminine-to-really be androgynous look, but the gal has genuine chops in the music department.

On the Floor, J.Lo - I should hate her, but I can't. There is something very awesome about JLo, and I take her music for what it is, catchy dance music crafted very well by her producers.

Summer, War - I have no idea how old this song is, I heard it on a soundtrack a long time ago, and requested the song on iTunes. It is finally available.

Acting as Your Slave, The Verve Pipe - CD bought from the back of a trunk when we were in college, a song I mistakenly added while trying to add the song next to it. I love when mistakes work out.

Arms, Christina Perry - sweet and tough at the same time.

Born This Way, Lady Gaga - after not liking it this spring, I came around this summer. Still not feeling Edge of Glory, a little too 80s for me. Last time I saw hair like that was Berlin's Take My Breath Away.

Save Me San Francisco, Train - "I've been high, I've been low, I've been yes and I've been oh hell no!"

Wake Up and Be Part of the Band, The Verve Pipe - TVP's second/third entries, this from The Family Album. These guys have had a career that for everyday working class musicians, is a dream come true. They were huge on the Midwest college/frat party scene, won the West Michigan Battle of the Bands for a recording contract. This turned out a few indie rock hits, then a huge top 10 hit, and a few more indie hits. This led to the song on the soundtrack, the cameo in the movie, the song in the commercial, the song over the credits on ABC Family. Semi-retired, the band was getting back together for holiday shows, which led to the holiday album. Growing older and having children, what's next but a children's album? This led to heavy rotation on Sirius/XM, concert specials on PBS, and a mishmash tour schedule that includes libraries for the kid shows and concert halls for the adult rock show.

That said, Wake Up and Be Part of the Band rule, true rockers disguised as kiddie songs. Will loves them, and rushed the stage at first opportunity. Donny was amazing with the kids, so was Brian.

There Goes My Everything, Jack Greene - We stumbled upon a bluegrass jam session in Reed City and the the band played this song, squeezing every drop of sorrow out of every note. To be honest, I think the impromptu version I heard live was better, but this will do.

Knockin' At Your Back Door, Deep Purple - Funny story, I had shreds of this song in my memory banks on a loop, for several days. I thought the same of the song was Point of No Return, and I asked friends for verification, and tried looking it up on iTunes. Came up empty. Two full days of going crazy, I share these shreds with co-worker Clint. Those shreds were "point of no return," "samurai," and "little Suzy". I also guessed the song was released between '79 and '85. I threw out the bands Kansas, Rainbow and BTO.

BOOM, he had it, Deep Purple, in less than 10 seconds.

No comments:

The Beatles, Ranked! The Bottom, or the Not so Fab

I'm fighting this too. I said I'd do it, so here it is. First, some "defend the music" just outside the bottom: Her Majest...