Wednesday, November 9, 2011

November Playlist: Countdown 1979



Although I am one of the older team members at the hospital, my co-workers have taste in music similar to mine, and will name-drop songs that were popular when I was a kid and before they were born.

I'm still trying to get over Karissa, a skating friend, for calling Blondie's "Call Me," an oldie.

The year 1979 was kind of a big deal for me, since I turned 10 that September and was growing more independent. It's also the earliest I can remember listening to top 40 radio and having a favorite song.

My Sharona, The Knack - I got this album for my 10th birthday, and played it continuously.

I Want You to Want Me, Cheap Trick - there's lots of joy in this song, and lots of energy.

The Devil Went Down to Georgia, Charlie Daniels Band - "sonofabitch" v. "sonofagun" so scandalous!

Chuck E's in Love, Rickie Lee Jones - Two things I remember is Rickie being a cute tomboy playing her guitar on Solid Gold and my cousin Nancy playing this over and over because she was dating a Charlie.

Renegade, Styx - cool song the older kids listened to.

I Was Made for Lovin' You, KISS - kind of sexy and supercharged. Our neighbors were really into KISS, but I didn't see what the problem was with their foray into disco.

September and After the Love is Gone, Earth, Wind and Fire - to this day I still listen to and love these two songs.

Don't Stop Til You Get Enough, Michael Jackson - grooving in the Jodis' van after bowling with my classmates.

We've Got Tonight, Bob Seger - who needs tomorrow?

Dance the Night Away, Van Halen - this list is starting to look like a classic rock playlist.

No comments:

Rethinking Black

How can I love a rare steak with crispy bits? Rely on a good chef. Black is... Taste: the flavorful, crispy bits on a well-prepared rare st...