Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Typing Out Loud: Thx!

Thanksgiving is tomorrow, so of course we have a turkey brining on the back deck and a jello pie in the fridge, a holiday favorite of mine since 1979.

So what am I thankful for this year? It feels a little early for a retrospective of the year, but since the awards shows are already starting, I guess no time like the present to look back on '11 thus far.

I'm thankful most of all for my dad's continued improved health. He's battled 3 cancers the past few years: skin, colon and leukemia. I can't even imagine the brave face he had to put on and the patience my mom has had to exhibit being strong alongside him.

I'm thankful for the little boy beside me that is hellbent on destroying our house via magic marker, hockey sticks and matchbox cars. I often think of when Will was in the hospital, a tiny, frail little thing that has turned into QUITE a robust little man. How'd we get so lucky with him?

Helps to have a good partner by your side, and Dave is a great dad and husband.

On a personal trajectory, I'm thankful for some amazing opportunities to develop as a person and athlete. I competed in my first-ever 5k; the YMCA summer olympics in swimming, biking and running; and passed my silver freeskate test.

I'm grateful for the chance to participate in a few artistic endeavors too. I was in a group show at Pine Rest's Leep Art Gallery and had a painting in ArtPrize. I'm already 472 pieces into next year's installation, a collaboration with my best friend Cara. I also had the unique opportunity to stand up for myself against a deadbeat client; I ended up suing and won.

I'm grateful for the people surrounding me in my life. Skating is that much better because of my adult skating friends, they make the effort worth it. I'm grateful for my co-workers who make an often thankless job tolerable, and sometimes, even enjoyable. I'm grateful for the team of babysitters I can entrust the care of my house and child to.

I'm very thankful for this blog. As an unemployed copywriter, I have the ache to put thoughts in print, creative or otherwise. Some of my prose here has been rather pedestrian, but sometimes I hope I have been witty, insightful and entertaining. I know I have enjoyed using this as an outlet.

No comments:

The Beatles, Ranked! The Bottom, or the Not so Fab

I'm fighting this too. I said I'd do it, so here it is. First, some "defend the music" just outside the bottom: Her Majest...