Sunday, July 29, 2012

What's Right in the World: Bucket Lists


The Olympics are here! It is so inspiring to witness a global pursuit of personal and team glory. On a broad scale, I know intellectuals pshaw athletics as simplistic, but I think that is selling the unifying spirit of the games short. On a personal level, as a weekend warrior, I'm in awe of these athletes, most of them everyday people, in pursuit of the ultimate entry on a bucket list: competing at the Olympic Games.

I love hearing about others bucket lists. It means people have dreams, goals, an eye on the prize, a vision towards the future, something to look forward to. And I'm not talking exclusively of athletic endeavors. Dave and our friend Larry have a goal to prepare and serve the seven classic sauces as defined by French cooking schools (I don't think nacho cheese sauce is on that list). The girls want to take a cruise together to celebrate Denise's 40th birthday. 

In a nod towards my usual "typing out loud," it might be time to add some things to my bucket list.

I still want to be an extra in a movie. No lines, just a face in the crowd.

Get down to a size 10. I did buy two pairs of size 12 pants yesterday, so it's not too far off.

I'd like to learn to shoot a gun. I'm typing this as an American is accepting her gold in skeet shooting. I have no political reason for it, I think it's an amazing skill and I respect hunters who know how to shoot to kill with minimum pain to the animal, without ruining the meat.

I haven't tried one in a while, but I want to do a cartwheel. Why? Gymnastics commercial.

I want to go to NYC for a long weekend. LA too, if only to get on the Price Is Right.

I'd like to go to Europe and hit a few countries: Poland, France, Italy, Russia.

I'd like to attend an Olympics as a volunteer, just to be in the atmosphere.

Ooo, write a book. I did when I was a kid, and still have the draft with illustrations, Patty and her friends. It's childish at best but it's cool to know I have written one. Actually, I've written two, the other did not survive; it was in an orange notebook and was about two farm kids, Anna and her brother ...? who found a secret cave on the edge of their field, a gateway to fantasy-like adventures.

And for some reason, I think an episode of Curious George, I want to throw a clay pot.

No comments:

That's It, Just One Line - Landslide

"Can I sail through the changing ocean tides, can I handle the seasons of my life?"