Sunday, July 1, 2012

July Playlist: In the Backseat, Making out to Q106

Most Jacksonians would recognize this as a romantic destination at Ella Sharp Park. While not an in-the-backseat illustration, I love this rotunda, it looks like a mushroom.

One of my favorite authors is the master of the short story, O Henry. He would tell delightful stories of Manhattanites in search of love, man about towns and shop girls alike. His turn-of-the-century Carrie Bradshaws would entertain suitors not in her parents' home but "her parlor was the front steps, and her garden walk was Central Park."

Growing up a modern gal, my parlor was the car, either mine or my boyfriend's. We would drive with the windows down, the local rock station on loud, the night going on forever, which is of course impossible given my midnight (at 16) then 1am (at 17) curfew. Kissing was a favorite past time when I was lucky enough to have an enthusiastic partner.

Here's some "commerical-free, non-stop rock!" as I remember those nights parking at Grass/Pleasant/Vandercook Lake, the Jackson/Bel-Air Drive In, Ella Sharp Park, Cascades Falls or cruising the Ave. Yes, yet another trip back in time specifically to the 80s, but instead of the break up (February angst), maybe why we were there in the first place.

The Scorpions, "Still Loving You" - a musical and lyrical tour de force. Had an ex dedicated this song to me at any point in time post-breakup, I would have turned into a puddle and reconciled immediately, justlikethat. To make my lyrical point, I quote: "I'll fight babe, I'll fight, to win back your love again, I will be there... If we'd go again, all the way from the start I would try to change the things that killed our love. Your pride has built a wall, so strong that I can't get through. Is there really no chance to start once again, I'm loving you."

Stevie Nicks and Don Henley, "Leather and Lace" - Yes, it returns to the blog a year later. I quote, again: "you in the moonlight, with your sleepy eyes, how could you ever love a man like me?" With the slightest of Mona Lisa smiles, I recall with startling clarity experiencing a moment similar, a silvery night at the drive-in not watching "Ferris Bueller's Day Off," and a sweet conversation that shall remain between him and I.

38 Special, "Fantasy Girl" - heard this one on our way back home from a birthday party last month which actually triggered this whole topic. This song makes me think of the County Fair, flirting with boys, and then getting all sorts of squirmy embarrassed if they responded positively. At 14, I wanted to be someone's Fantasy Girl while I managed my boy crush fantasies, but reality was a little too much to handle.

Honeydrippers, "Sea of Love" - documented in one of the Little Twin Stars diaries, flirting with boys at the school dance, yet no one daring to make a move.

The Temptations, "My Girl" - not rock, but MUST be included. It involves heading to the grocery store, and my boyfriend pulling over into the median to kiss me just because this song was on the radio. Take my breath away. I hope every girl has at least one random romantic moment like this happen in her life.

Allman Brothers Band, "Melissa" - a namesake song, so of course it has been associated with me time and again. Leading off a mixtape, closing out the DJ's show right before mine and sang to me sweetly if not slightly off key when played over the airwaves while "sitting" in the backseat.

Led Zeppelin, "Since I've Been Loving You" - What was it Damone said to Ratner about getting a girl in the mood? "Play side two of Led Zeppelin IV." Rat blows it with Physical Grafitti and "Kasmir." I think he would have been forgiven with some Zep3, this essential track appealing to both boys and girls. It's heavy, bluesy, melodic and has love in the title. Win.

Interesting to note, one boyfriend told me it wasn't ladylike for a girl to like Zep. Yes, it was one of the many reasons we broke up.

The Cars, "Moving in Stereo" - I was in a Cars/U2 kick in early '88 and this was in the tape deck. There's something so creepy/cool, ethereal about the song, hypnotic under a midnight sky or otherworldly during those deliciously tense, romantic will-he-or-won't-he-kiss-me moments. He did, oh yes he did.

Journey, "Feelin' That Way/Anytime" - Ah, Journey was the masters of the 2-for-1 classic rock song, and I would feel naked and incomplete hearing one without the other. This song takes me back, not to a car but a dorm room with too many beers and a guy I was willing to throw my heart at in hopes he'd hold on to it.

I'm not sure what to categorize him as, he was a romantic interest that was more than casual but  never reached full-on boyfriend status. He was significant enough that we officially broke up. I was important enough to garner a grand gesture from him in hopes of  reconciliation. He showed up at my 21st birthday party (uninvited), threw me over his shoulder cavemanlike, and carried me off to another apartment while shouting "I want to make love to you, let me show you!" I snuck out the door when he went to the bathroom to prepare his seduction. He is for sure one of the weaker links in the chain of romantic misadventures.

George Michael, "A Different Corner" - You're invited to your ex-boyfriend's graduation party and not sure what to say or what present to bring. Goofing off, you slide off the slippery bedspread while looking at photo albums and yearbooks, shared laughter turns into holding your breath, waiting and wondering. It doesn't take long for the reconciliation kiss to happen, change the course of your whole summer and make you remember in wonder at being sixteen, 26 years later.

Stevie Nicks, "Edge of Seventeen" - that would be summer 1986, which says it all, Mona Lisa smile back and intact. It's amazing really to remember being that girl/child managing affairs of the heart with a unique mix of confusing newness and maturity.

The Bangles, "Eternal Flame" - Cascades Falls Park. A date that started off bad, warmed up a little, then after a snowball fight and the best kiss ever, the evening is completely transformed. You climb in the cab of his truck to warm up, this song is on and he holds your hand for the first time.

No comments:

#700: The Beatles, Ranked! The NAs

Er, not quite Post #700 if I'm counting correctly!  As posted previously, I dialed down my ambition to rank all the Beatles songs, decid...